GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Peptic Ulcer? Help please!

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Peptic Ulcer? Help please!

About 3 months ago I started having really bad stomach aches, I had been taking way too much Ibuprofen for a long time and I figured that was why so I stopped taking it. I went to the emergency room after I couldn't eat anything and I was in alot of pain. He diagnosed me with Gastritis. Lately I have been having these pains in my stomach, I feel hungry all the time, bloated, nauseated and sometimes I throw up and that seems to be the only way to relieve the pain. I'm taking Prilosec OTC like the doctor asked me too. I'm worried this might be an ulcer due to them not running any tests on my abdomen, he just diagnosed me because of my symptoms. I do not drink any pop, I haven't been eating anything that would irritate my stomach, mostly soup and rice. I've been drinking alot of water. When I do vomit it is usually either clear or yellow bile. Has anyone else had symptoms like this and if so, should I be concerned and call my doctor? I am in alot of pain and I could use some help. Any answer is appreciated. Thanks.
Hello beebaby123! Is your pain in your upper abdomen to the left of your sternum by your ribs? Mine is. Mine sometimes radiates to the left side in the exact same spot. I also get a pressure/fullness feeling directly under my sternum. My doctor said all could be related to GERD.

The doctor also said the symptoms can be caused by Gastritis or a peptic ulcer. When I asked if they would check to see which one it was, they said the treatment for both gastritis and peptic ulcer is basically the same.

As you probably know, peptic ulcers are open sores in the lining of the stomach, usually caused by a H. Pylori infection. Have you been tested for this bacteria? If not, it's a rather fast and painless test. They can do either a breath test or a blood test to find H. Pylori. In my case, it was a blood test.

Gastritis, on the other hand, is an irritation of the stomach lining without an ulcer. The symptoms of these two diseases are similar. Both conditions benefit from the same measures. I would talk to your doctor about this and work out a treatment plan.

It's a good thing you are on a bland diet. Gastritis may be worsened by foods that irritate the stomach, such as alcohol, spicy foods, caffeine, tobacco, and your anti-inflammatory medicines.

The other thing I learned is that if it is an ulcer, acid blocker medicines will help to heal the ulcer in 6 - 12 weeks. It's apparently a very slow process, but in the end I am sure it's worth the wait to not be in pain. Hope this helps you.
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
worksinadetoxunit commented on Conversion table othe...
selmaS commented on soccero's status
mkh9 commented on mkh9's status