GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
Post endoscopy pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Post endoscopy pain

On Monday 12/13/2010 I had an upper endoscopy. Dr said I have gerd and hiatal hernia. Also took biopsies but I won't know the results of those until next week. Anyway since I've been hone from the hospital I've had excessive gas which I hear is normal from the air they pump in your stomach but yesterday I had the sensation of a knot in my throat and near my diaphragm and dizziness. This morning woke up with a violent case of diarrehea that woke me up after only 4 hours of sleep. Are these symptoms normal after endoscopy? I've already called my dr and waiting for a call back. My dr gave me omeprazole which I started taking 12/14 but have taken 2 week courses of this medication in the past with no side effects. Thanks for your time.
No, these symptoms are not due to endoscopy.
Omeprazole can cause diarrhea.
But the more likely cause in your case is infection.You can have stool test done for evaluation.
you couldhave had a reaction to the sedative