Recovery after surgery to correct gerd and hiatal hernia
Im  36 years old normally healthy female from the uk...im due to have surgery on a hiatusl hernia which as caused bad gerd symptoms.

Im a little worried because the surgery is scheduled for 5 weeks before im due to go on a holiday abroad

I am having key hole surgery to correct this...
I am aware that i will need to stay in hospital form 2-3 days..and will have to follow a diet before im able to swallow solids again

my problem is this...

Will i be ok to fly and go on holiday 5 weeks later ...or should i prospone the surgery until after my holiday?please can you answer me quickly because i am due to call the hospital son about the matter,thank you
The tiny incisions should be well healed in five weeks.  However, you probably won't be back to regular diet in five weeks, at least I wasn't, and I did have digestive issues for longer than that.  It took me awhile to learn how much I could eat.  If I ate too much, I had loose bowels and gas.  
If it were me, I would postpone the surgery until after the holiday.  Vacations are usually a time of eating out, enjoying different foods, drink, etc., and this procedure very likely would curtail your culinary adventures.  My surgery was very successful, the healing time is usually pegged at about eight weeks minimum.  
I forgot to mention, most people lose about fifteen pounds the first six weeks after this procedure, I lost seventeen, and my clothes didn't fit.  This could also be awkward while travelling.
Thank you flycaster

I have been nagged by my best mate who im travelling with and some family to prospone it until after the holiday.I was originally told by the surgeon who is going to be operating that i should be fine in 2 weeks and able to go about my normal daily life and that going on holiday abroad would be no problem at all ....although in the next breath he told me i might not be eating solids for some time after surgery..i assumed by five weeks i would be fine i guess the risk is is far to big because everyone whos had this surgery seems to be  having problems for a lot longer.

As a result of their nagging at me i have prosponed the surgery until after my holiday.Which im glad i done from reading your,and other peoples posts here.

Also to anyone who is thinking of travelling after surgery think twice because my insurance company would NOT insure me to go on my holiday even though the surgeon said i would be ok to travel!!!!

The digestive issues of travel are well known, and couple that with surgery where your innards are rearranged... a blue print for at best great stories in twenty years but in the short term, disaster.  Well done, great decision.  Have your fun, eat the great foods of the area and drink their best wine, then come home and get things fixed.