GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Reflux from colon prep?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Reflux from colon prep?

I have struggled with reflux/difficulty breathing for about two years, and have finally gotten it under control by maintaining a bland diet and taking Zegerid.  The doctor has explained that she thinks it is LPR rather than GERD.  Although I do occasionally have burning in the esophagus, the more persistent problems involve phlegm in the throat which seems to make it difficult to take a full breath in.  This generally occurs after extreme exercise, with stress, and during the middle of the night.  My questions involves prepping for a colonoscopy.  I have to drink NuLytley, and am worried that so much liquid (and apparently so bad tasting!) will cause difficulty breathing.  And I really don't want to go under Propofol when I can't breath in.  Has anyone had any experience with the colon prep meds?  Suggestions?  Any help would be much appreciated.  
Hi ....I agree the colon prep is very bad tasting and can be diff to do.

DId u ask ur dr if there might be another altenitive?......I drank the NuLytley and then bcuz of weather my colonoscopy was cancelled....I could not drink it again, so I was told to get miralax and they gave me a few pills to take...and that worked much better.

Plus, the anesthisiologist will intubate u if he feels ur breathing is an issue.

Ask to talk to him/her prior to surgery.

Good luck

"selma"