GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
Reoccurring and Unknown

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Reoccurring and Unknown

To preface this, I'm not sure that I have GERD, I've never been diagnosed, but it's the closest explanation to some of the symptoms I've been experiencing. However, I have a feeling there's more going on.
Three years ago, I started getting, what I think was heartburn. The pain I feel is a burning pain that sits at my sternum, no lower or higher. It's debilitating, I can't lay down, can't sleep, aggravated by breathing, eating or drinking anything. Usually I just waited it out. It was never really a problem because it occurred so infrequently. After a year, it started to pick up, I'd get it maybe once every three weeks to a month. Then, I'd randomly get it three or four nights, back to back. The lack of sleep really got to me; as I was still in high school, and I'm sure my parents were really sick of listening to me complain about it. Nothing helped. We tried pepto bismal, tums, pepcid ac, aloe vera juice, other "soothing" drinks, apple cider vinegar, baking soda. The baking soda and aloe vera juice occasionally helped.
Once I began my freshman year of college, I would get it often. I theorized it was triggered by stress, but it would also occur when I was obviously not stressed. I'm vegan, so I know it's not because of lactose. I noticed it would also happen if I ate and then either laughed a lot, or sang. I figured  muscle tension aggravated it, so it must be acid. But it still occurs very inconsistently. The bad pain (I can't talk or breathe comfortably/lay down) usually lasts 6-8 hours.
Since I've been in college and around my peers, I noticed that:
- I hiccup an abnormal amount, so much so that other people notice it as well.
-Uneven and misshapen ribs
- (I noticed this during yoga, it's not a normal thing for me to do) if I push all the air out of my lungs, utilizing my abdominal muscles, I always experience an intense snap of something under my ribs.
It is more likely to be GERD.
Take PPI like Prilosec. If the symptoms are due to GERD, then you will find relief with Prilosec.
24 hours pH monitoring test can also be done to confirm it.