Stopping Protonix cold turkey?
So, two years ago I went to see a GI doctor because I was having severe stomach pain.  He decided to do an endoscopy to see what was going on and discovered that I had GERD and eosinophilic esophagitis.  I was then put on Protonix, 40mg once a day, and scoped a year later.  

The scope last year revealed that I had Barrett's Esophagus as-well as eosinophilic esophagitis and also Schatzki Rings.  So, I was raised to 40mg twice a day on the Protonix.  I also made some major lifestyle changes by eating more raw vegetables, less meat, less dairy, and juicing.  

Last week, I had this years endoscopy and was surprised to learn that my esophagus and stomach had returned to normal.  The eosinophilic esophagitis had completely resolved and the rings were gone.  The biopsy for the Barrett's showed a very tiny bit left and they were kind of wishy washy about keeping the diagnosis.  So this is all great news.

So, for the last month, I've been having severe stomach pain and now my GI doctor thinks it is from the Protonix, which it probably is.  His solution is to take me off of the protonix completely.  He told me to go cold turkey off of it, but I am having such bad heartburn that I think I'm going to taper it.  Shouldn't it be tapered anyways since going off of that much PPI would cause your stomach to over produce acid?  Anyone have any ideas?
Hi...I agree with u..and wonder y, but ur dr did do testing on u....but I was always told to  step off meds like this.

Plus there r meds out there for when u have too little acid...pro biotics like align...but, just stopping the meds will have an affect on everything.

The heartburn u feel can be the too little acid too.....

"selma"
I would like to know how it all turned out.