GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Switching to Prilosec... Any Problems?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Switching to Prilosec... Any Problems?

My GI thinks I have reflux but we haven't done an endoscopy. He said my stomach pain coupled with "burning" are signs of the reflux. I was on a Prevacid for a while and things got better and stayed better for a long time, so he took my off it as a trial.

Now its back and I tried the Prevacid again, but its not working. We're thinking about trying Prilosec (sorry if its spelled wrong) OTC. Right now I'm just taking Tums until we decide.

Does the prilosec work well? Are there any other OTC meds I could try to make the symptoms go away?

I have to ask, what type of Dr r u seeing is this a PCP or a GI?...u need a GI Dr and u want to be sure  the issue is too much acid instead of too little...as the symptoms are similar if not the  same.....

A PH test can be done.....

Have u modified ur diet and lifestyle?....

Diff meds will work for diff people, I was on and off Prilosec for yrs and then the last time I was back on it, it no longer worked for me.....I now take pepcid when needed...which is not often.

Also starting a med and stopping can cause rebound effect....so u want to be careful with that....

But make sure u see a GI dr.
I do see a GI and he's the one who put me on prevacid. Then that didn't work the way it should have, so I went off it and the symptoms got worse. Now I'm on the prilosec.

I've never had an endoscopy done or anything like that. I've had a few ultrasounds but thats about it. My old GI was... For lack of a better term, he was a bit of a doof. Now my new GI is kind of doing trial-and-error. I see him in June which is when we're going to talk about if we need further testing.

For now, the prilosec is working fine. We're more focused on keeping my liver levels good and watching my PCOS than the reflux. I don't know what they're theories are with order of importance, I'm just going with what the doctors and my parents want to do from day to day...

When u have other issues it can be a bit of trial and error until u find what works.....

I am glad the prilosec is working for u...do watch ur diet, exercise, and modify ur lifestyle as well as it can play into how u feel.

Do keep us posted : )
I do watch diet and execise, all that. I'm on a very strict diet that is closely monitored by my doctors. I have to check in with my nutirtionist, Kendall, every two weeks. They weigh me and watch my BMI so we get a more accurate check.

Everything revolves around my gluten intollerance, liver issues, and PCOS. Now, the PCOS diet in and of itself would be simple, because it's a diet that works to up the metabolism. But then I have to try to have a low-fat diet that's also got enough protient, diary, and grains; the grains and fiber are tricky because I can't eat a lot of gluten. The diet is mostly veggies and fruits right now, because it's easy on my GI system...

Wow...it sounds like it can be diff to find things to eat....

Can u have smoothies?...I am thinking fresh fruit, and u can get ur fiber, and as it gets warmer it is a nice treat as well.
I was considering that, as well. I bough two books the other day, one on gluten-free cooking and one on smoothies and juice drinks. They both talk about how to keep up the vitamins and everything a normal person needs when you're on a restricted diet.

I have to either fix my blender, though, or I need to get a new one. But either way, I think it would be a good investment considering that I need the nurishment...

This time of yr I love making my own smoothies...lots of raspberries as they r good for u and taste  so good : P

I had a blender and it was not able to blend the thicker smoothies so I got a Kitchen Aid one and it works great!
Raspberries are really good :) My favorites right now are mango, strawberry, banana, and watermellon.

My mom said that she has an attatchment to her mixing bowl that does smoothies. I don't know how it works exactly, but I'm willing to give it a try until I can get a real working blender.

I love strawberries, cantaloupe, honey dew, raspberries,watermelon...I am not a fan of bananas in a smoothie, but I love them too : )

Kiwi...I could make a huge list....mango...pineapple....hmmm papaya

That is great...I use a combo of fresh and frozen fruit,   usually the raspberries r frozen with a few fresh....and then I use frozen vanilla yogurt ...so yummy and I  add a little juice to the frozen fruit to get it started...this way I do not use ice and water it down.
I like the yogurt, too. There's one I make that's milk, yogurt, strawberries, and a little ice, and it's really good. It almost tastes like strawberry ice cream... I think thats why I like it so much :)

I haven't tried the papaya yet, but I think I'm going to. I'm looking to add some varety to my diet, anyway

Good luck with the smoothies and let me know how it works for u : )