GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
TIF procedure failed - Now my doctor wants me to do the Nissen

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

I had the TIF procedure done back in October of 2011.  I've had pretty tremendous pain since then.  I took six weeks off of work like my doctor recommended and stuck to the diet the nutritionalist gave me.  When I finally went back to work I would leave every day wanting to cry because I was in so much pain.  My doctor prescribed a Lidocaine mix to drink and that is the only way I can get myself to eat.  I wake up every day feeling like someone punched me in the chest.  In February my doctor had me undergo another endoscopy and then followed that with the 24 hour manometry (My least favorite procedure).  

My surgeon told me the wrap is holding fine, but I've developed a hiatel hernia since the surgery and my reflux is worse than before the surgery.  I did not have a hiatel hernia before the tif procedure.  He wants me to undergo the Nissen Fundoplication now. Has anyone else had issues like this after the TIF procedure?  I'm only 23, I'm 5'7'' and I weigh 135 pounds so he told me before I was the ideal candidate for this procedure.  He blamed the hernia and my increased reflux on going back to work too soon, but I took as much time off as he gave me in medical leave and now I'm not sure I should trust this surgeon to do another procedure.  
I'd get a second opinion, you shouldn't be in pain.  You should not have a hiatel hernia after the procedure, the Tiff is a procedure to fix just that issue.  
I'd request a second opinion from someone who teaches at a medical school.  Do you live close to a teaching hospital?  
I rejected the idea of a Tiff and had the conventional Nissen Fundoplication surgery with wonderful results, but also really looked for the best surgeon.  I suggest you do the same.  Feel free to send me a personal message, and also Smiley2000 can give you input.  

Hi...so sorry u r having these issues...and if u r not sure what this Dr is saying mayb u should get a 2nd opinion....

I can not advise u as I have not had either surgery.

I do have a hiatal hernia, but have not required surgery as diet and getting the right supplements have helped.

Post op (other medical conditions) can deplete magnesium , postassium, calcium,.....so do have those levels checked by ur PCP.

If ur bowel is not working properly that too will affect the hernia ......

Ask ur Drs about probiotics if u have been on ne antibiotics from the last surgery....see if ur reflux is more of an imbalance then nething else.

Good luck.

There is a teaching hospital two hours away from where I live and I'm planning on getting a second opinion.  I'm really scared to get the Nissen after having such horrible results with the TIF, but hopefully a new surgeon will help with that.  I was also just told by my primary care doctor that their is a chance my vagus nerve was clipped during the procedure and that may be causing additional problems as well. (I keep getting this huge feeling of reflux building up in my chest, then get really hot and pass out)

I'm glad to hear your nissen went so well - I feel like I've read so many horror stories about these procedures that I was beginning to wonder if it was worth it to try again. I'm not sure my insurance will allow me to have the procedure done by the surgeon at the teaching hospital but I'm hoping at the very least he can recommend a better surgeon.
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
mkh9 commented on mkh9's status
gymdandee commented on Remedies for Arthriti...
Paxiled commented on Conjugated linoleic a...