Terrible GERD symptoms ... really worried.
I've been taking Nexium 40mg for about 10 years as I overproduce acid. Occasionally I get flare ups where I have to supplement the Nexium with Gaviscon. However, the last week has been the worst I've ever experienced. It's getting worse every day. My Doctor has increased the Nexium to x 2 daily, Gaviscon after I eat and at night and I've to have another endoscopy in the New Year. I don't want to eat at all. I get up in the morning and my stomach feels okay. But as soon as I eat, it feels as if something is sitting on my throat and I have pressure/pain in my chest. I have a disgusting taste in my mouth. After eating I have a cough. I've had to cut right back on my intake. Bland cereal/milk and small slices of toast ... no hot drinks. Just Evian. Today I cooked a chicken and had a tiny sandwich [chicken + bread ... that was it] ... and the symptoms are worse tonight than ever. I'm frightened that it's something much more serious. And I don't think the anxiety will be helping. I can't cut back on my intake any more. I'm losing weight. Tonight the pressure on my throat is horrible. Can anyone reassure me that this is normal with GERD. And that it will eventually go away.
Has it been proven you overproduce acid? High acid is rarely the cause of GERD.

My mother is free of severe GERD and severe LPR. And when i say severe, standing up with burning acid pouring out of her mouth severe. Doctors all told her she had high stomach acid. Incorrect treatment of tagament for 20 years, then nexium for 5 years along with bucketfuls of gaviscon...this treatment was almost fatal.

Today she takes digestive enzyme supplements - helps digest food and prevent acid reflux, betaine HCI with pepsin supplements - increases stomach acid, corrected her numerous deficiencies - neuralizing stomach acid with acid blockers causes nutrient deficiencies - some of those deficiencies cause acid reflux eg: magnesium deficiency - and voila...goodbye GERD, goodbye LPR...oh and goodbye to 25 years of gastritis!

The baking soda (sodium bicarbonate, not baking powder) test...

The following steps help to determine your stomach's acidity:

1. Perform this test first thing in the morning on an empty stomach (before
eating or drinking)

2. Dissolve ¼ teaspoon of baking soda into an 8 oz glass of cold water

3. Drink the solution and start timing

4. Record the time until you first burp up gas

5. Perform this test for 5 consecutive days (or longer) at the same time each day to give a better estimation of your stomach’s acidity

Time until first burp:

If you burp immediately and excessively your stomach acid level is probably too high

Under 2 min: indicates normal acidity

2 - 5 min: low normal acidity

Over 5 min: possible hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid)

No burping indicates possible achlorhydria (no stomach acid).
You may not have an acid problem at all, maybe you have a problem swallowing.  If acid is backing up, in my opinion, you will know it quickly, as it will affect your vocal chords and certainly your teeth in a very, very short period of time.
An Endoscopy will determine if acid is indeed backing up. I'd also ask that you have a test to determine if your swallowing reflex is working correctly.
Keep us informed.
Agree with Flycaster.
I am curious- what other symptoms were present?