GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Terrible stomach pain... Please help!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Terrible stomach pain... Please help!!

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia 10 years ago and have been taking Nexium 40 mg every day since then. After awhile the Nexium alone didn't help so they had me had ranitidine every night and the nexium ever morning. It worked well for a long time. I am over weight and I know this is another thing that is cause it to bother me so much. But I started hurting 8 months ago and have been back and  forth to the doctor several times since with severe pain in the upper abdomen above my belly button all the way to under my rib cage and severe back pain lower and center of my back. The doctor last month started me on a new medicine dexilant 60 mg that he said should take care of it. Well it worked for a couple weeks now I am back hurting like crazy. I had a bad flair up last night and today seems like my insides are so sore it hurts to move. I am scared to death that it could be stomach cancer. Has anybody had any symptoms like this? Please help!!

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

May I ask did ur Dr inform u on how to modify ur diet and lifestyle? This is important to do along with meds, as meds alone can not help...u need to eat healthy and avoid the triggers...and u need to exercise even if that is going for a walk around the block every night at the same time.

Keep a journal of what u eat and do to see what ur triggers are.

For more tips on how to modify ur diet and lifestyle look at the health pages here on MedHelp - http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236
Hi, I have severe pain in my upper GI and under my rib cage as well. The gastro put me in dexilant 60mg and I am taking now for 2months. Still pain in my upper GI and pain under my rib. I am also searching the best things to do how to get rid of this pain. And I am almost frustrated.. Please inform me if you find something that help you to feel better.. Thanks and godbless
I had that kind of pain in the early years of my reflux---i know why people go the the ER thinking they are having a heart attack--cause it hurts like heck!!!!!

have you ever had an endoscopy?  I have had 4 and had to have my esophagus dilated each time--I was having trouble with food getting stuck on the way down. I have had a shotzky's ring 3 times.

I have developed a condition called eosinophilic esophagitis.

I also have a hiatal hernia.  My GI thinks my EE is secondary to the reflux I have had for almost 22 years.  I will be starting a swallowed steroid to get the esophagus into better condition--and then I plan on having a fundoplication.

I think getting a scope would be a really good idea.