GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Thick, sticky mucus?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Thick, sticky mucus?

Nine months after recovering from terrible acute bronchitis, I am still coughing up small blobs of thick sticky, pale yellow mucus all day.  My allergist says my asthma is under control, my sinuses are more or less clear, and I recently went to the cardiologist for a full workup.  All that's left is GERD, but I'm unsure how to proceed because I hardly have any other symptoms.  I occasionally perceive reflux (less than once a month), and never any heartburn, although I occasionally wake up in the early morning feeling extremely hungry (kind of a stomach growly feeling), even though I shouldn't be.  I am 40 pounds overweight.  Anyone else diagnosed with GERD and have this mucus?
Avatar n tn
It is possible to have silent acid reflux where you don not feel heartburn pain but you do have acid that is getting into your lungs. I had this for a long time, and my only symptom was a cough that never went away plus I got bronchitis frequently. Do you have the head of your bed propped up (6-8 in is recommended)? If silent reflux is your problem, propping your be can really keep the refluxing acid from getting into your lungs at night. This could be an easy thing to try to see if it helps stop the coughing and mucus during the day.
Avatar n tn
Thanks --
I was propping for a week, and did notice some relief.  However, I was doing this with a pile of pillows and it wasn't very comfortable.  Any products you'd recommend?  I share a bed with my husband, so I think a wedge would be the most practical.
Also, are you no longer coughing?
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
RubyWitch I am no longer accepting HI... Comment
zouzi commented on Please be aware of th...
May 02