GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
Thickening of stomach lining?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Thickening of stomach lining?

I had a upper G.I done last thursday and got the results back stating I have thickening of my stomach lining. I started with mild gastritis symptoms a couple years ago that two weeks ago became full blown which is why the doctor ordered the barium. I have been taking losec with some moderate improvement of symptoms and do not feel near deaths door like last week. I just am very worried about this thickening and worry it could be stomach cancer. Anyone else experience this with GERD or gastritis?? I received the results over the phone from my doctors secretary and so have not had an opportunity to speak with a doctor. I am waiting for my appt with the G.I doc but that isn't for 3 weeks.

I looked up "thickening of the stomach wall" and saw cancer everywhere, I am very very worried. I am 31 years old.

Thanks,

Sarah

Thickening can occur with both inflammation and cancer.
Only a biopsy would be able to confirm what is it due to.
So have a biopsy done from that thickened area.
I take it this is not a forum to post in if your looking for answers?
Thank you doctor.

I guess all I can do is wait.  Few more questions though... is this a common finding with inflammation and why didn't they mention inflammation with the results if it was due to that? My doctor didn't seem worried, said it was from acid burn, but with all due respect to her, she never seems to take anything seriously, hence having her secretary call me with results. Should I book an appt with her to go over the findings or is an endoscopy the only useful thing to do at this point?

Thank you for taking the time to answer me :)
A related discussion, stomach abnormality was started.