GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Thoughts About GERD And Some Advice for All

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Hello. I've suffered from GERD for many years. It has gotten to the point where it's irritated my esophagus and I've been diagnosed with esophagitis. I don't like taking medications that suppress stomach acid because we need our stomach acid to help digest food and help prevent infection caused by bad bacteria in the digestive tract. I've gotten two stomach/intestinal infections from using such medications.

That led me to research possible root causes of chronic GERD. I've found that it comes from an unhealthy unbalanced ecosystem in the digestive tract. We need enzymes, a lot of friendly gut bacteria, and a healthy diet to keep the digestive tract in balance. Further research led me to believe that a possible source/cause of an imbalanced digestive ecosystem is root canals and silver dental fillings. Root canals harbor infectious bacteria that can harm many parts of the body and upset the delicate balance of the digestive tract. Silver fillings, well, where do I begin?? They contain mercury, - an extremely toxic/poisonous substance, that gets in to the digestive tract whenever you eat food, drink beverages, brush your teeth, or swallow saliva. The mercury upsets the ecosystem of the digestive tract, destroying the friendly bacteria there. This causes a chain reaction which throws your entire digestive tract off.

Just thought I'd throw this information out there for those who are struggling with trying to find the underlying cause of your GERD. This is just one possibility. It may not be the answer for everybody, but it could help some of you. I am personally going to have all six of my silver fillings removed asap. I know they are a big reason I don't have good digestive health.
Just had all my top teeth removed in September...haven't had a stomach issue since.
Not saying that your post is correct however,( simply because I haven't been able to eat anything substantial as of yet ) but I do think it's possible.

I had all my "metal" fillings removed years ago ( about 16 years ago ) and my migraines went away...just like that. But who's to say that was the cause...I had also stopped drinking diet pop at the same time...can't handle aspartame.

But your ARE correct in saying that there are many things that can throw off our delicate balances.
Thank you for sharing that info, and hope it helps someone.
Definitely.  Those "silver" fillings are amalgam.  They contain more mercury than should ever be allowed.  If these things are so "safe", why are the boxes containing that stuff marked HAZARDOUS in plain but bold red letters?

While other things upset the balance, like too many carbs and sugar and over use of antibiotics, the amalgam used should be banned.  It is the most toxic substance in the mix.  The reason there is controversy over whether there is continual off-gassing is simple:  Follow the money.  The people promoting amalgam don't want to accept the truth and will deny anything that proves that there is continual off-gassing from amalgam.  There is a video on YouTube that shows it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5E6uFnhglc

Yes, aspartame is also poison.  But, amalgam is continual exposure.