GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Throat "burns"

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Throat "burns"

Lately, during and after I eat, I get this "burning" in my throat, I do not get heartburn that burns in my chest, just the "burn" in my throat. Also, sometimes it feels like I have a "knot" in my throat and it feels hard to swallow.
Now, I have been under lots of stress lately, and I do have a hiatal hernia, it is just this "burning" is bothering me more than usual, normally, I ignore it, but tonight, I am uptight, and everything scares me. Have any of you had these feelings?
Hi Sassy....I must say yes.....to the knot and the burning....it can still be reflux with out the heartburn.

Are u still on meds?...if so which ones?.....

I would ask ur dr to take a look if u r taking meds and u continue to have these issues....I would also want him to check ur thyroid for the knot feeling....just in case it is not related to ur reflux.

Please do not ignore when u feel poorly....it takes twice as long to feel better.

also do try and relax as stress can make u feel worse.

I would also suggest u try to avoid the foods that tend to be triggers for excess acid .

Please update us on how u r doing!!

"selma"
I am not on any meds, doctor did not see a reason for them. I do drink 2 ounces of Aloe juice a day, it helps some, so does my pro-biotic.

Just yesterday, my doctor had a full thyroid blood panel drawn, I should get those results back next week.

Yeah, stress makes all my symptoms worse, when I am happy or feeling good, I don't have any of these problems, dog-gone stress.

I will let you know about the tests results when I get them. Thanks for your reply.
Hi Sassy,

If u have too much discomfort until ur appointment ask ur dr about OTC meds that might help take the bite off so u feel a bit better.

If u do nt like PPI's like prilosec...u might want to try HI 's....like pepcid.

I pray u get good results!!

"selma"
Thanks Selma for the ideas, if this keeps up, I will sure do what you suggested. I know even TUMS helps at times.

Hugs
Susie
Sassy...I have had the burning in the threoat for almost four weeks. I have been having anxiety for some other issues and this makes me even more stressed. In fact I am freeking out. Went to the ENT yesterday and he said it's acid reflux and gave me Nexium and advised staying away from the foods and drinks that can be irritating. Well I have done this diet on my own for the last 3 weeks but nothing helps. It just worked it's way up my esaphogus and into the throat. It stings when I talk so I've been keeping pretty quiet. My Dr. says that it will take 4-6 weeks to see results...UGH! Don't know if I can stand it this long. Please let us know how you are progressing or if you got something to share.
Painter