GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
Trying to conveive with GERD
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Trying to conveive with GERD

My husband and I have been trying to conceive since August and my doctor took me off a medication that was working well (Protonix) for my GERD because she thought it could be bad for a pregnancy.

For about a month now my stomach has had bloating and mild pain (like gas pain) every day, especially after eating, as well as a gurgly feeling when I try to swallow. It's really uncomfortable and obviously makes eating uncomfortable. Perhaps because of this, I have lost weight (I'm 5'6" and now weigh about 111-112).

I've been treating with Tums 1x a day and Zantac 2x a day (this is what the doc prescribed back in August) and following all the GERD rules (don't eat late at night, etc.). No change.

I feel kind of trapped, because I don't want to give up trying for a baby if on Protonix. However, I'm also wondering if being underweight could hurt my chances of getting preggo- I have a short luteal phase right now and have read that this could be connected to being underweight.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Especially from the doc or anyone who has had GERD while pregnant or ttc.

Thank you!