GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Vagus Nerve Response from Acid Reflux/Hiatal Hernia

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Does Acid Reflux and a Hiatal Hernia cause Vagus Nerve Stimulation?  Have experienced several episodes since Jan. 2010, of light headed, profuse sweating, difficult breathing, resulting in fainting.  Cardiologist says heart is in excellent condition.  An upper GI found Acid Reflux, and a Hiatal Hernia.  General Practitoner prescribed, Librax, Valium and Carafate.  These episodes are unpredictable, and can come on when laying down,  when urinating or having bowel movement.  The meds. have side effects of making it difficult to urinate from enlarged prostate.  Any information would be appreciated.
I have a heart electrical shortage problem.  My heart rate would go up to 225 even when laying down.  Weak, fatigue.  I went to 22 heart doctors.  They all said my heart was fine no problem.  I lied to an electromagnetic specialist doctor from Yale and told him I was refered.  While in his office, my heart rate went to 225 and after 20 years.  A doctor finally agreed I had a heart problem.  The EKG always said normal.
House did an episode on my problem too.  I had heart ablation surgery and now I am completely normal.

Hi there,

I have been told by my GI that the vagus nerve definitely gets affected by acid irritation.  But this can cause skipped beats and should not get your heart racing.

I had Cardiac Ablation done in 2007 to treat PSVT (supra-ventricular tachycardia) and what you describe to me sounds like you could have PSVT or some other electrical problem - that only a Electrophysiologist can diagnose and treat.  All echo's and ECG's done by Cardio can check out fine and they may even suggest a 24hr holter ECG, but eventually it is an electrical problem and a normal Cardio do not specialize in that.

I know that these episodes are unpredictable but you should go to the ER next time that it happens so that they can record it.  There are also medication that can control it - beta blockers and calcium channel blockers.  But again:  you need to get it checked out by Electro-doc.

All the best!
Gywilson,  good on you for getting yourself to a Electro-doc.  Some people stay undiagnosed for years until an episode can be recorded or with Electro Mapping done by Electrophysiologist.

I had episodes for about a year and tried 6 different beta blockers and eventually my Cardio admitted me to the Cardio ICU to try some more meds and then I had an episode and it was recorded!  I had successful ablation done - had 3 AV nodes and they were able to ablate the 1.

I am a great fan of House and have not seen that episode, but I am still following the series and will be thinking of you when I do see it.
I NEED A DOCTORS ADVICE SINCE NO ONE CARES!!
Almost 2 am in the morn, and for over 2 hours been having severe stomach attack which I've had in the past, and ended up in the emergency room too many times pumped full of morphine, then let home. So I get acid reflux, along with dull pain in stomach that intensify s and radiates up into my esophagus, with heart burn, throat pain, and into back, chest, and even right shoulder and arm, and when the pain is intensifying more, then my head hurts above my eyebrows. I have tried telling doctors, and they've done a few blood test, and all they do is give me all forms of Stomach meds that are crap to me!!. I suffer practically everyday of acid reflux, stomach pain, bloating, constant belching, dull to sharp pains, that gets worse lying or bending over, after eating, and feeling acid and food come right up into my throat. Along with constant diarrhea, oily and light floaty stools, And maybe one or two days out of the week, I don't have much pain. Sometimes food won't bother me much, then the same food will hurt me like hell. Even cooked veges, rice, can bring it on badly, along with spicy foods, pop corn, and even juices,. Most any food too! And yet before the food wouldn't bother me. hmmmm... When it gets real bad, I can barely swallow, and sometimes even water can make it worse!!. i can get sharp pains in the stomach or dull pains, and pain up in my esophogus and throat, and into the back, and worse lying down, or times I bend over too. ...
Anyone knows what to do, or what it is? I read it could be chronic pancreatitus (pancreatitis), since I have all the symptoms, and had acute pancreatitus (pancreatitis) years ago brought on by a dr. who checked my stomach out, and put dye into pancreas which ended me in the hospital. Or maybe IBS? or something worse? No bleeding or losing weight, so hopefully not stomach cancer. Liver enzymes are always high, and i rarely drink. Like maybe once or twice every few months or less.
SO NOW I ASK ANY OF YOU WHO HAS GONE THROUGH THIS, AND MAYBE KNOW WHAT IT COULD BE.
I've had tube down my throat over 2 years ago, and showed nothing, but gotten even worse now.  I also was diagnosed with Hiatal hernia over 20 odd years, so wondering if thats the main problem. I have to eat carefully too, as well as lying down. There should be something to cure this, instead of having to live and suffer with it!