GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
"Verps" = burping with vomit coming up while asleep

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

PLEASE help me.  I am a 50 year old female who is awakened every month or so to what I've heard it loosley referred to as a "Verp" - which is a combination of a burp and vomit; or where I am evidently burping up a small amount of vomit.  This only occurs when I am in the middle of a deep sleep.  It does wake me, as I guess it's my epiglotis that closes (to prevent this small amount of bile tasting fluid from going to "the wrong place".  I absolutely HATE this and it is very upsetting to me.  I have taken to sleeping while not laying completely flat, yet it still happens at times.  It never happens during the day.  I do often eat later at night, shortly before bedtime; I do drink alcohol on a fairly regular basis (wine) and I do drink several diet cokes per day along with sipping a slightly carbonated juice during the night when I get thirsty.  I get regular medical check-ups but keep forgetting to mention this issue.  Often, after I wake up when this occurs, I can hear a slight "wheeze" when I breath out.  I so not smoke cigarrettes or anything else.  I do take medication that helps me sleep at night.  I recall that My Mother (now deceased of lung cancer at age 79, over 10 years ago) used to say that she had a "hiatal hernia" but have no idea what problems it caused her.  She drank martinin'sl, smoked cigarrettes and lived a long life - even with lung CA for 9 years.  I had a friend who died at age 50 of esophogeal cancer who drank hard alcohol a LOT and who smoked cigarretes, and who warned me if I ever got GIRD to not treat it lightly but to get it checked out.  Is this what I have?  I feel quite concerned.  Should I see a specialist ad if so, What type of specialist should I see?  I have excellent insurance.
Hi, yes by all means see a gastro dr.If u do not know of one let ur PCP refer u to one...in the mean time u may want to start to follow the foloowing changes below.
Since this is getting u during sleep...when u have meals and elevating ur bed r the top 2 followed by the ne smoking.

Lifestyle changes. Diet modifications.
Medications to reduce stomach acid or to promote normal motility.
These can include Proton Pump Inhibitors, Histamine Receptor Antagonists, and over-the-counter remedies. (like prilosec)
Eat smaller, more frequent meals.
Limit your intake of acid-stimulating foods and beverages.
Don't lie down for about two hours after you eat. ( or more depending if it persists with the 2 hr min change)
Elevate your head a few inches while you sleep
(approx 6")
Maintain a reasonable weight.
Don't smoke.
Don't drink alcohol.
Don't wear belts or clothes that are tight fitting around the waist
Keep a record.
Record what triggered your acid reflux episodes, the severity of each episode, how your body reacts, and what gives you relief. The next step is to take this information to your doctor so the both of you can determine what lifestyle changes you will need to make and what treatments will give you maximum relief.

Good luck
"selma"
Is there something I can take or "eat" to get that nasty vomit burning feeling to go away after this happens during sleep.  I mean...you throat is burning so what can we do in the middle on the night.  I ate a piece of plain bread and a glass of milk...that seemed to work after awhile...but not sure if this helped.  My husband said that maybe the milk would coat my stomach and the bread to absorb some of the bile.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  This happens about once a year....but what a way to be waken in the night!  

Hi...there r some hard candies u may want to try...if u like licorice try nibs....they can help....they r small u can keep near ur bed....

Also, if u elevate the head of ur bed, and  do not lie down for 3 to 4 hours after eating to help reduce this problem..also try to avoid dairy products as it can  slow the closing of the LES and allow the acids to move back up where u do not want  it.

See the Health Pages for more tips on life style and foods that r safe and foods to avoid-http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236

"selma"