GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Wake up gasping for air

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Wake up gasping for air

Several times these past two years I've woken up gasping for air.  I felt like I was about to suffocate.  Eventually, I was able to breathe a bit more and more, and to cough away the phlegm in my airway.  I went to an ENT dr who said this was a GERD issue, Acid Reflux.  I've been taking medication for that and it may have helped, but I did get another attack today.  I've also had a diagnonsis, today, of Bronchitis.  I've had the phlegm for around a week now and another ENT dr. told me that I have Bronchitis and that prescribed antibiotics for me.  So I'm confused.  Is this from the Acid Reflux or from the Bronchitis.  Is it Bronchitis (or Laryngitis) that comes up for me periodically or is it the Reflux?  I've not been smoking for several months now, but I did have a few cigarettes this past week, and I also had a few beers.  Finally, I had some Sushi tonight as well.  Any suggestions?
1)With gerd there is usualy some burning in the throat. If not yet, in the future it will.

2)GERD can bring on phlem, its the bodys way to coat the injured throat.

3)It could be just phlem from post nasel drip, cold or the brochitis.

4)Gerd can be cause from other disorders. If that is the case you need to fix the disorder, not approach the GERD directly, as that would only be a band aid. An example is thyroid issues - that can cause gerd from LOW stomach acid, not elevated!. So you treat the thyroid first, gerd
2nd, until it heals.

5) Sleep APNEA can cause gerd from opposite airway pressures drawing up stomach acid.

6)If you have gerd and nothing else, change to a gerd diet. Dont take the gerd meds forever, they are hard on the pancrease. Learn about body PH, and stay away from junk food and coffee.

Untill you get a handle on this,I hope you have elevated the head of your bed by 6-8 inches with blocks or bricks. This helps.
LPR or  silent reflux is a condition related to Gerd. In gerd the lower esophageal sphincter  is not working properly and the material in the stomach backs up into the esophagus. In LPR the upper esophageal sphincter is also not working properly and the reflux material is aspirated into the lungs.  This can be very serious. You need to see  an ENT or GI doctor right away.
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
Remedies for Arthritis Pain
38 mins ago by gymdandee
minstrel59 commented on What Everyone Should ...
genetically modified organisms (GM...
19 hrs ago by gymdandee