GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
What pills actually work for acid reflux?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Six or seven years a go I started having problems with a constant sore throat. I was quite surprised when the doctor told me she thought it was from acid reflux, since I seldom ever had heartburn or anything related. She gave me a perscription for Omeprazole, and told me to take it every day. It did seem to help the first couple days, maybe a week, but then it seemed to lose its affect. It just didn't seem to do anything. The doctor told me to take two pills each day, but I had the same outcome. For some years I was fine in that department, though I had problems with my sinuses and postnasal drip, but recently I've had terrible heartburn. For the past couple weeks I've woken up with a feeling of acid in my throat, and my stomach has been constantly queasy. I've barely been able to eat anything, and haven't felt like eating at all anyway. I've tried using two pillow to stay up higher at night, but I'm not sure it's helped. I take Zantac occasionally when I get actual heartburn from food, but that isn't helping now. I've had a lot of plegm in my thoat, and I've started to wonder if my sinus troubles and the acid reflux sensation may be related. Is there anything I can take to help since the others don't seem to help? Maalox can help a bit, but I have to take tons of it over and over.
It might be that you dont have too much acid, but too little. If the stomach contents are not acidic enough, the gut will throw the stomach contents back in, leading to reflux as well. You could ask for a test, but many Gps dont do that. There are other tests for low stomach acids, but they are not great. One of them is to drink a spoonful of bicarbsoda in water, first thing in the morning, and the count the time it takes until you burp. If you dont burp fast, or not at all, your stomach acid is low. Or you buy some betaine/hcl tablets, take one with each meal, and if it improves, great. But please, stop taking a tablet that doesn't work and impairs your natural defenses (stomach acid is there for a reason). If the HCL tablets hurt you (stomach pains), drink bicarb soda water since it neutralises the acid immediately again. Just be careful, and good luck.

Hi...there r 2 types of meds out there  a PPI which is a proton pump inhibitor and a H2 blocker...this is a histamine blocker...

Each of us is diff and meds will work diff for us...so u will have to try diff meds....BUT u also have to modify ur diet and lifestyle...since u wake up with acid in ur throat, u may want to elevate the head of ur bed to use gravity to keep acids down where they belong...

But ur diet is very important too...so do look at that...keep a journal to see if u have food triggers.

Typical foods to avoid, acidic foods, spicy foods, fatty/greasy foods....soda, alcohol....

U have to do all of it to aid the meds to work for u...and even tho u do not feel the indigestion does not mean it went away...

U may want to get a PH test to make sure ur issue is too much acid as low acid has the same symptoms.

I agree with selma, especially with the idea to raise the head of your bed.  Pillows don't work, I tried that and did that.  Raising the head of the bed with 4 x 4 blocks actually is only 3.5  inches, I'd suggest adding 2 x 4 blocks on top of the 4 x 4 blocks.  

Acid reflux doesn't alway produce pain or discomfort.   There are all kinds of prescription medications and 'natural' nostrums that one will be recommended, but I'd cut to the chase, so to speak, with your symptoms, and have what is called an Endoscopy, a PH test, and also a test to see how well you can swallow.  Hopefully you have insurance that could cover these procedures.  A second thought:  are you diabetic?  Those with diabetes have less pain sensations.  

I'll also suggest if you continue to take a PPI or H2 med, take it EXACTLY as prescribed, and follow the dietary directions.   otherwise, you are just making expensive urine.

Thank you all. I have never heard of having too low of acid. I will try this stuff.
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
Joel78 is frustrated, aching, tire... Comment
May 26
christineyvette Derealization is the WORST Comment
May 26
Joel78 commented on Jzabs's status
May 25