GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
White patches in throat due to acid?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

White patches in throat due to acid?

I've been diagnosed with Barrets (LES dysfunction) 3 months ago.

Ever since then I have been reading a lot and joined this Forum.  The Doc that did the Gastroscopy and made the diagnoses of Barret's did not do biopsies!  He just took pictures of my Esophagus and told me I have Barret's due to LES dysfunction.  I have to go back for follow-up Gastroscopy in 2 weeks time...

1)  do I definitely have Barret's?
2)  the white patches at the back of my throat:  is it due to acid?
3)  I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat spicy food.  I sleep on 2 high pillows at night, don't eat before I go to bed, don't eat big meals.  What else can I do to make it better?

the hoarseness of my voice and constant throat clearing and the pains in my jaw and back... is it all due to reflux?

Thank you for your help.
Hi from what I have read u can only get a barret's dx with a biopsy...so it sounds like ur dr is guessing u may also have barrets from some damage seen in ur throat.

U may want to get a second opinion if u r not  comfortable with this dx.

U may also want to try the expert forum here on MedHelp with the question regarding the white patches.

The 2 pillows may only be affecting ur neck...do u have them behind ur back?

U really need to be on an incline to help the acids from coming up....if u r flat
  and u have just ur head up that is not enuff....see if u can elevate the head of the bed.

May I ask r u on meds for this?

"selma"

Hi Selma,

Thanks for responding and all the info.  I went to another Doc for a 2nd opinion and unfortunately he could not get hold of the pics that was taken 3 months ago (different Hospital and area) but he will do the Gastroscopy on the 19th.  I am sure then I'll know definetely whether I have Barret's or not.

I am on Altosec, two times a day.
Good luck on the 19th and in the meantime do modify ur diet to keep the excess acid to a minimum.

"selma"
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
flipper336 "Life should be great rathe... Comment
Paxiled commented on GMO CORN
Feb 10
drifter0213 commented on Feels like life is ov...
Feb 09