GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Why is chocolate bad for LPR

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Why is chocolate bad for LPR

I was diagnosed with LPR yesterday.  I am trying to figure out what I should eat to calm it down.  I'm taking dexilant, but this is my first day and I'm already a little nauseated.  I was going over the list of foods to avoid and it's everything I eat.  Chocolate and Coffee being the hardest for me to avoid completely.  I have a latte almost every day. Is it the caffeine in chocolate that's bad ? ...or maybe it's the fat too!  It's Christmastime.  This is going to be so hard, but I really want to take care of this before it gets any worse.  I saw the recipe for the apple, cinnamon and honey drink.  Does anyone else have recipes or foods that work for them?

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

It is nest to avoid these items as they will affect us and with Christmas around the corner it is not just Chocolate but mint as well we need to avoid.These have two affects on heartburn sufferers: They relax the LES, and they increase the amount of acid the stomach produces. So u may enjoy them while eating them, but not for long if u already have an issue.

As with nething it is moderation....so if u want to have some on Christmas day make sure to avoid it leading up to the day and the days after and take ur meds as rx'd and avoid all triggers.

Just drinking a concoction of apples and  honey and cinnamon will not stop reflux when it gets bad, u have to let it heal b4 u try to have some of these things in moderation...I had a time when water could set it off...so u do want to be careful when enjoying the holidays.
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
selmaS commented on ChitChatNine's status
Dr. Peter Glidden ND
18 hrs ago by gymdandee
ChitChatNine is having fun! Comment