GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Will this Acid Relux Ever Heal itself?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Will this Acid Relux Ever Heal itself?

I am a 28 year old male, and have had this acid reflux for a year and half or so now. It started one day when I had eaten a meat pie and within 30 minutes my stomach was upset so I forced a vomit out of my mouth. I stupidly went out drinking in a few hours (had about 8 beers), and ever since that day I have had this acid reflux. I don't understand how someone of my age can get such a disease and with no real cure for that matter.  This condition as caused me a lot of anxiety and stress. I can no longer go out and socially and enjoy a beer with friends, makes me now feel so reclusive. I was an active relatively health person. I have been on nexum and use Zantacs in between and it controls the symptoms to an extent. By everyday is a battle. I wonder if this is if this disease can one day be cured? Can i one day resort to some sort of surgery?
Have you had an Endoscopy done?  do you know what is the cause of your GERD?

That would be the starting point.  To be able to manage GERD and to live with it, you have to make changes to your diet and that would mean NO pies and possibly no beer.  The alternative is to take sachets of Gaviscon and drink it before and after meals.  That would help you to eat and drink from the foodgroups that aggrivate GERD.

Before you should consider surgery, you must make dietary changes, lifestyle changes and be on optimal medication.  Unfortunately there is no cure for GERD, but it can be controlled with diet and medication and the anti-reflux surgery is an option, but then you still need to make diet changes.
I had very manageable GERD sysmptoms until I had a bowel obstruction that caused me to vomit violently, and that action is thought to have caused the already poor valve seal from my stomach to esophagas to fail.

There are so many causes for GERD, I would be Smiley's echo, and have an endoscopy.  Once you have the cause, it is easier to treat.  For example, high acid/low acid, damage to valves, swallowing issues, etc all cause problems, but need different solutions.

I also agree that GERD is making it harder to socialise as I can only drink 1 or 2 beers every few weeks, so its made a dent on my social life.

Its really annoying but I have come to accept it and I am trying to take up activities that do not revolve around drinking.
You can still have your drinks, but can make changes by switching from beer to whisky with water and ice!  that is good for the blood (in moderation) and does not cause a beer-belly :)

Just small changes every day will make a big difference in overall health and GERD-health.