GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
are GERD and bowel movements related?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

are GERD and bowel movements related?

hi, im just 19yrs old and ive been recently diagnosed with a hyperacidity and GERD.  i used to have dry heaves in the mornings and after eating, but then it got so bad that over-the-counter acid blockers weren't working anymore and my stomach used to hurt badly.  i was given motilium and gasec twice a day, and now it seems under control.  my question though is about hyperacidity and irregular bowel movements. are the two related? i used to have a lot of bowel movements all times of the day,especially after eating.  they were making my life miserable, i couldnt go out and enjoy myself without needing to visit the loo.  but since ive started the treatment for hyperacidity it seems that bowel movements are becoming more regular and normal.  ive been thinking that i suffered from IBS, and stopped taking certain foods, like coffee, fatty foods and dairy products, but i saw no change at all.  so is it possible that my bowel discomfort was caused by accessive acidity in my stomach?

thanks!!
IBS may be associated with acidity and other dyspeptic symptoms.
Neuroendocrine tumors of the gastrointestinal tract can produce the symptoms of acidity and diarrhea.