GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
coughing spasms

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

coughing spasms

I started coughing with horrible spasms over a year ago.  Went to several physicians ENT, Pulm, and GI.  The latter indicated that I had GERD which I have been on PPI as well as Nexum, and I am also taking Claratin and Zirtec.....after more than a year you would think I would stop coughing!  I still cough, not as often or as severe, but when I start, I go on and on until I feel as though I am choking.  This usually happens when I either am talking or  eating, and yes it is embarassing.  I really do not know what to do.  The only thing that stops the cough is Codiene and of course, none of my docs want me to take that on a regular basis.  What else is there?  Will I have to endure this coughing stuff for the rest of my life (which was suggested by one of my physicians)?  I am 67 years old and have never had anything wrong with me until all this happened. I have no regurge symptoms, no heartburn, and can eat anything.  I am wondering if I should continue taking the nexum and PPI? Ready for the VOODOO doctor!
1 Comment
I am new to this forum.  My main symptom has been extreme coughing over a long period of time like yours.  I would cough until I threw up or fainted.  Meal time is the worst but I can wake in sleep couging uncontrollably.  I also feel at times my breathing occludes during sleep.  I do have hiatal hernia and GERD.

I recently went to a very good ENT.  She scoped me and said the laryngeal area is swollen and red with evidence of reflux.  I am supposed to get a modified barium swallow this next week.  A speech pathologist will feed me foods and tape my responses in swallowing.  I feel my swallowing is "incomplete" and I feel like I am swallowing over something that is in my way.  

Because I also have Hashimoto's low thyroid I also had a thyroid ultrasound.  My guess is that once all the tests are in I will get recommendations that will help me with this.  I also have allergies and reflux and have been on zyrtec and nexium for years.  I may end up having a sleep study as I think I may have an Airway Resistance Syndrome that gives me trouble at night and may contribute to my daytime problems.  My husband is going to raise the head of our bed as well.  

I am near your age.  I am not sure what I am going through is helpful to you as I don't have answers as yet.  But I thought the similarity of symptoms strikingly familiar.   I can post back as I learn more and hope to see other answers here as well.  Marie