GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
craving

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

craving

Why am I craving pickles and popcorn?
Often we crave the very things that cause us problems.  Popcorn isn't good for anyone.  Most corn is also GMO.  You can find such information on mercola.com.  A lot of people with GERD are sensitive or even allergic to food preservatives and sulfites and aren't aware of this.  The pickles on the market aren't typically made the traditional ways that we know our grandparents and great grandparents would've known how to do.  This is true of sauerkraut, too.  If these were made in the traditional manner, rather than for them to be loaded with all kinds of additives that don't belong, that would make a huge difference.  In our day and age, even vinegars have changed drastically from the traditional vinegars.  Consider apple cider vinegar, for example.  It's the best one there is for one's health that is on the market, but it matters who makes it.  It matters, too, if it is UNfiltered, organic and still has "the mother" in it.  Otherwise, all the health benefit properties have been lost and the stuff is no better than the cheap white vinegar that is really only good for house cleaning.  Pickles on the market are made with the white vinegar, unless they specify otherwise.  The white vinegar is made from wheat or barley, so it isn't good for anyone with gluten intolerance.  It has added manmade sulfites in it.  All other vinegars out there don't have the health benefits in them and are only for flavor.  If you find that sulfites are the culprit--definitely don't use vinegars made from wine.  Unfortunately, even if they may or may not be made the traditional manner, they still have added sulfites, because modern wines have added sulfites.  Also, if you're really sensitive, even wines and wine vinegars that don't have added sulfites in them may make you still feel sick, because grapes themselves have a naturally occuring load of sulfites.  I can't even tolerate fresh grapes, especially the red ones.  More than GERD bothers me in this case.  Sorry, but you're asking a loaded question.

The other thing to consider is the possibility of vitamin or mineral deficiency of some kind.  Not sure which one, but I'm certain it's not an obvious one.  The one that comes to my mind is iron deficiency, as in iron deficient anemia.  One can get strange food cravings with this kind of anemia.  While I talked about the sulfite issue first, I would have my doctor test for iron deficiency first.  Folks with GI issues can have iron deficiencies.
I'm not a health professional, but suspect from knowledge of MS patients in my family that the brain changes cause the sense of taste to change, not only what tastes good but what tastes bad.  This can also happen with those of us who have had heart surgery, strokes, etc.

I'm guessing, and take it exactly as a guess, that you are craving salt. I'd suggest you contact a diet specialist to sort this out.    
You are craving salt. Plain and simple. It could be because of a variety of reasons, some of which could be concerning. Make sure you communicate this info to your doctor as it can be indicative of low blood pressure, internal bleeding and other medical concerns. Probably, though you just need an electrolyte balance that would be found from drinking Gatorade. Give it a try and see what happens.