GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
have you tried baking soda and water for sour stomach, heart burn and g...

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

have you tried baking soda and water for sour stomach, heart burn and gas, and rotten burps?

I am 41 and just recently started getting bad stomach pains and terrible rotten burps .  a friend toldl me to mix baking soda and cold water and drink it.  OH MY GOD!!!  i swear i did and i burped for like 5 minutes straight, and now I feel almost brand new....  YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS!! it really works and fast.  and its safer and cheaper than precribed medicines.   I also figued out that i get this horrible stomach and burping when i eat too much meat or milk for dinner.  apparently fat and animal protein can cause to much hydrochloric acid in the stomach.   WELL, let me tell you!  The baking soda  and cold water works FAST and works very wellll.  I hope I have helped just one person, who can help just one more and so on and so on, cuz if you get those bad burps or sour stomach, you know how bad they are!!!!
LEt me know if you have tried it ,and if it worked for you!!
50%
 (3) 
yes
50%
 (3) 
no
6 Members voted
The reason this works is because the baking soda is bicarbonate (an electrolyte). If you look at the back of a pack of Alka-Seltzer you'll see that it's very similar to the ingredient there. You may also know that bicarbonate is what's produced by saliva which makes it a pretty effective antacid. (It's why people chew gum or suck on hard candies when they get heartburn to feel better. Gums with bicarbonate are the best about this.)

Two problems arise, however: the first is that bicarbonate can lead to a rebound effect. You burp like hell because the bicarbonate is neutralizing the acid there. (Ever mix baking soda with vinegar in a cup? Same thing just happened in your stomach.) This isn't bad, but what will the body do when all this liquid is sitting in the stomach? It'll start pumping out acid to send it on down to the digestive track. Hopefully you can get whatever's in there through fast enough that it'll go down, not up.

The second problem is more long term and more serious, and that is creating a bicarbonate imbalance within your system. If you have too much bicarbonate hanging around your system and ingest calcium, it can lead to milk-alkali syndrome,(aka Burnett's syndrome) which can lead to ead to metastatic calcification and renal failure. This on top of the already generally accepted risks of bicarbonate.

One last note on the matter: if you're getting heartburn or feel like you regurgitate regularly then you need to talk to your doctor and make sure there's no mucosal damage to your esophagus. This can happen with acid or alkaline reflux (The PH of bile is 7.5-8.8) and can lead to Barrett's esophagus. The problem with bicarbonate, as with most antacids, is that it tends to cover up the symptoms, instead of curing them.

In short, yeah, it can make you feel good, but be careful and discuss it with a doctor.
i have tried it that and it does work. But my mom told me that it's not really good for the long run. Thanks.
Yes, this does work, as a young girl growing up whenever we would get gas in our family my mother would have us drink this mixture.  But as stated in the long run the outcome is not good.  I would like to suggest something that I have found that works for me is Aloe Vera Juice.  Not the concentrated, I go to Walmart and get it.  It can be located in the pharmacy. It remove the acid reflux for me.  Also I found that it give me a lot of energy.  My illness causes sever fatigue so if I drink 8 to 16 oz. it depends on the amount of fatigue I am full of energy and the great thing about it is it regenerates cell so it regenerates the liver cells.  It's wonderful.  I hope that it works for you as it has for me...