GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
help me because I dont know whats wrong

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

help me because I dont know whats wrong

Ok here is what's going on, i'm 38 years old for the last two months I have been trying to quit smoking, I now have two days smoke free. Last monday I woke up covered in hives, which is really weird because I have never been allergic to anything nor have I ever had hives. I took a claritin and a benedryl and the next day they were gone. The next day i was at work speaking to a client and my upper lip swelled twice it's size. I went home and took another benedryl. The next morning covered in hives again and lower lip swelled three times it's normal size. Went to ER and they said it was an allergic reaction to the nicotine patch I took it off, and the next morning hives. The next morning hives again and I started searching on the internet and figured I would take an acid reducer and the benedryl, this morning no hives, but I have this pain in my ribcage and esophegas like something is stuck. Now I started my period two weeks early and I don't know what the heck is wrong with me.
Hi...I do not know alot about the patch u were using....but meds in general can cause gerd.

I would suggest u see ur dr and ask about the possibility of the patch causing this side effect as well as the allergy.

Do not self medicate without the advice of ur Dr or Pharmacist.....especially since u had such a reaction to the nic patch.

Please post an update

"selma"
I've got the same thing - swelling lips and hives (buttocks, back of legs, wrists), generally at night for the hives).  They only seem to last a few hours and not so painful.  I've also developed occasional trouble swallowing and an occasional pain just under the left ribcage.  May not all be related.  I've been tracking eating and life experiences but can't find anything that could be causing the lip swelling and nocternal hives.  Never any allergies before.  I'm checking with an alergist now, my internist gave up.  Hope someone can figure it out.
Hi...may I ask, do u eat alot from salad bars....and fast food ??...the reason I ask, my sister had a reaction very similar and it was an allergy to the sulfites they put on the fruits and salad to keep it fresh...many fast food places use it on the potatoes for franch fries and Arby's uses it on their meat....
sorry i ask questions and dont keep track, the hives I believe were cause by the name brand path nicoderm.