GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
joint and muscle pain as well as hearing loss

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

I am wondering if long term protonix use has been linked to joint and muscle pain as well as hearing loss.  I have been taking proton pump inhibitors for 18 years and have just begun hearing about bone loss and other issues.  I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia after finally seeing a doctor about the pain that I have endured for over 10 years.  I was diagnosed with quite a bit of hearing loss a little over 5 years ago as well and have been wearing two hearing aids since, one ear being worse than the other.  I am now wondering if it is due to the ppi meds.
I took PPI's very successfully for years, but also mixed in lab tests to make sure the drug mix I was taking could be tolerated.  I was taking some very powerful heart meds as well, such as Plavix, Coreg and Ranexa and Lasix.  Lasix requires taking gorilla doses of Potassium, so I was monitored carefully, every 90 days.  I had a Nissen Fundoplication and also Heart Bypass surgery so no longer have to take any of these medications except Lasix and Potassium.
I had no Magnesium depletion.  I'm deaf, but working around noisy construction and commercial fishing equipment as a young guy cost me my hearing, and growing old certainly hasn't helped!
I think PPI's pretty harmless, and taken as directed, help a great deal.  When taken incorrectly, they just make expensive urine.
I looked up the side effects of Protonix -  wow!!!  So many!  It did include the joint pain but said nothing about hearing loss - however, it did say that the list of side effects was not complete!  I am taking Ipriflavone and Calcium with Vitamin D3 for my bone health.  The Dr. prescribed Fosamax, but after reading about how it can cause weak bones, (what it's supposed to help) I discovered Ipriflavone.  It's a bone builder that muscle builders use - I have fallen and not broken any bones - (I have osteopenia)  I am sorry to say that I really don't know what would help your hearing loss - I think I would research all the vitamins and minerals to find something if it were me.  - If I find anything I will let you know.
PS  The side effects list also stated that Protonix can cause a lack of Magnesium - so important for our muscle health.  Might want to look into this also.

Most PPI's can deplete our magnesium and it is best to be under a Drs care so that u have reg blood labs done and get the right dose. I take magnesium and it does make a difference for me.....

If ur magnesium is low no matter how much Vit D u take ur body still will not be able to absorb it....so do talk to ur Dr, get labs and the right dose,
Thanks everyone for your answers. I just got the results of my bone density test and am one step away from osteoporosis. Don't know if it's related to the medication or not. Have to have further tests done
If you can, get some Ipriflavone at the health food store.  It really truly does build your bones.  :)
After the age of 40 bones need extra care otherwise it will damaged and get fractured easily. If you going to be use a healthy bone supplement then I'll recommend you to visit here: http://www.consumerhealthdigest.com/bone-support-supplements.htm
Gastro Tracker
Gastro