medicine question
If you think you might have acid reflux and your doctor gave you omeprazole to take and you take it but dont actually have acid reflux would that hurt you or just do nothing?
Omeprazole is an H2 blocker.  It is helpful, but not the big guns for acid reflux that could be harmful.  Omeprazole is available OTC.  Some H2 blockers are also used as supplement antihistamines for people who have a hard time controlling allergies.

OH,  not acid reflux presents with the typical heart burn symptoms.  Some people reflux higher and it does burn the esophagus in that way.

Feel better.
I started taking omeprazole  for acid reflux but stopped it after reading about the side effects,anemia as it takes out vitamin b12,broken bones as it takes  out calcium and a risk of severe cold infections as it takes out vitamin c.A local doctor links acid reflux with anemia,so I  started taking multi vits with iron and the acid reflux disappeared.
Omeprazole (INN) (pronounced /oʊˈmɛprəzoʊl/) is a proton pump inhibitor used in the treatment of dyspepsia, peptic ulcer disease (PUD), gastroesophageal reflux disease (GORD/GERD), laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR), and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. It was first marketed in the US in 1989 by AstraZeneca under the brand names Losec and Prilosec, and is now also available from generic manufacturers under various brand names. AstraZeneca markets omeprazole as Losec, Antra, Gastroloc, Mopral, Omepral, and Prilosec. Omeprazole is marketed as Zegerid by Santarus, Prilosec OTC.

The side affects mentioned in the above post can happen after long term use.......the absorption issues can become an issue and u should take ur meds at alternate times to avoid one cancelling out the others...so take ur Gerd meds in the AM and ur supplements at night....ur Dr that gives u this med will continue to do blood work to make sure u r not having these side effects.