GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
my throat is changing - reflux questions
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

my throat is changing - reflux questions

Hello- I'm 27 years old, and during the past several weeks, my throat feels like it has something in it.  Several people have said my voice sounds hoarse. I did not pay much attention, until I tasted blood from my throat on Saturday after I coughed...I used a flashlight and observed a red/yellow circular bump and some of the skin next to my uvula actually has a hole in it!
Does this sound like a reflux issue? I have a history of crohns and barrets esophagus...so I have some degree of reflux, but never heartburn. I also use oxygen, which is drying. Additionally, I have a history or smoking and drinking.
I'm worried, though, because I also have a history of metastatic cancer, and there is a swollen node (? assuming its a node) behind my ear. Is this a real concern?
I'm seeing the ENT tomorrow, but I guess I'm hoping for reassurance.  I'd say this has been developing slowly for a long time, but it may have been exacerbated last winter when I was intubated... to me, signs point to reflux...thoughts?
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
620923_tn?1405964489

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

I am not a medical professional and this is a support forum, so I really can not say....but it is possible with Barretts that u have an acid issue, some reflux conditions do not always have heart burn as a symptom....so, it is good u r going to the Dr as that is where u will get answers for all of ur concerns.

As far as ur intubation being an issue most times that is a faster onset of thrush and is very easily dx'd....

Good luck with the ENT and do post an update on what u find out : )
Blank
Thank you!! I really appreciate the input! Of course only a doctor can diagnose this but I was just wondering if someone may have had a similar experience (and hopefully it was not very serious). I will definitely update this post after I see the doc. Thank you again so much!!
Blank
620923_tn?1405964489

The issue is u have so much going on that it is not easy to compare to others...as I mentioned some types of reflux do not have heart burn and can feel like there is something in the throat...but with ur other dx's u have already had I would not want to have u think that is all it is, and it is possible that is all it is, but it may be something else....

It is so diff to speculate when u have so many things going on....hopefully someone with similar issues will post as well.

Do post an update after u see ur Dr.
Blank
The doctor said my throat looks OK, but a bit inflamed...he thinks its reflux (yay!) and we will keep an eye on things. thank you again :)
Blank
620923_tn?1405964489

So glad that is all it was...so happy for u....so mind ur diet and lifestyle as u can help reduce the acid that caused the inflammation...

Best wishes to u <3
Blank
329165_tn?1385201516
Hi there,

With a diagnosis of Barrets E your throat symptoms could be reflux, but then it should be uncontrolled GERD to reach the throat and cause ENT symptoms.

Did your Doctor prescribe you any anti-acids/PPI's?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
Freedom46 commented on photo
10 hrs ago
Blank
Freedom46 commented on photo
10 hrs ago
Blank
Freedom46 commented on I had no idea there w...
10 hrs ago
Top Digestive Answerers
620923_tn?1405964489
Blank
selmaS
Allentown, PA
63984_tn?1385441539
Blank
Flycaster305
97303, OR
168348_tn?1379360675
Blank