nexium and anemia
Does anyone know if nexium can cause anemia? I have been on it 13 years and suddenly have iron deficiency anemia.
Yes.

Excerpts from "How your antacid drug is making you sick (Part A)" by Chris Kresser...

"Most people have no idea how many vital roles stomach acid plays in our bodies. Such misunderstanding is perpetuated by drug companies who continue to insist that stomach acid is not essential. Meanwhile, millions of people around the world are taking acid suppressing drugs that not only fail to address the underlying causes of heartburn and GERD, but put them at risk of serious (and even life-threatening) conditions.

There are four primary consequences of acid stopping drugs:

Increased bacterial overgrowth
Impaired nutrient absorption
Decreased resistance to infection
Increased risk of cancer and other diseases"

"IRON

Iron deficiency causes chronic anemia, which means that the body’s tissues are literally starving for oxygen.

In one study, 35 of 40 people (80 percent) with chronic iron-deficiency anemia were found to have below normal acid secretion. Iron-deficiency anemia is a well-known consequence of surgical procedures that remove the regions of the stomach where acid is produced.

Researchers have found that inhibition of acid secretion by Tagamet, a popular acid stopping drug, resulted in a significant reduction of iron. At the same time, studies have shown that adding acid has improved iron absorption in patients with achlorydia (no stomach acid production)."

***

Excerpt from the article Stomach Acid by Jon Barron:

"The bottom line here is that most people are very confused about the role stomach acid plays in health. Most people:

Think they have too much, when in fact they have too little.
Treat the symptom and suppress stomach acid production, ultimately leading to long-term health problems.
Ultimately lose the capacity to produce sufficient stomach acid as a result of dietary abuse and continual use of medications to suppress the body's ability to produce it.

Don't get into that trap.

Use digestive enzymes with all your meals.
Drink aloe vera juice.
Use probiotic supplements with confidence.
Use proteolytic enzyme supplements with confidence.
And, if needed, use apple cider vinegar or betaine hydrochloride supplements to make up for stomach acid insufficiency."
How does one wean off nexium? I have taken it so long when I try I get serious rebound affects and feel like I am having a heart attack.
My mother never had the rebound effect. She was on acid blockers for 25 years (tagament for 20 years, nexium for 5 years and also took gaviscon for 10 years).  I took my mother off nexium and gaviscon cold turkey and started digestive enzyme supplements and betaine HCI with pepsin supplements in their place. She never got worse only better. She no longer suffers GERD, LPR and is 95% improved with gastritis.  If you don't want to go cold turkey you could try taking digestive enzyme supplements and wean off nexium more slowly.