GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
nexium

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

nexium

I was just put on Nexium two weeks ago.  I take 2    40 mg. per day.  At first, it really seemed to help, but lately, I have been having some abdomen pain.  I am afraid to quit taking it for fear of the belching and heartburn coming back, but the abdominal pain is no fun either.  I have read that abdominal pain and nautiousness are side effects to Nexium.  How long do these generally last?  When should I call my doctor?

I had an ultrasound done to check out the gallbladder.  Everything was normal.  Do you think I need more tests done???
Hi Tobyson,
Nexium is known to cause the side effects that you have mentioned. According a study about 2.7% of  patient taking nexium suffered from abdominal pain and about 2% from nausea.

If your problem is  severe, you report to your physician immediately. He will examine you to see if those symptoms are due to any other reason. If it is not severe, you just conitue with your Nexium 40 mg twice a day.

Generally a 4 - 12 weeks of treatment is necessary for adequate relief. So you continue your medication. There is no need for any other test now ( if your abdominal pain and nausea are not severe)

Meet your physician-
1. If your abdominal pain and nausea are severe
2. You dont get relief after 4-12 weeks of therapy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.