GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
post op surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

post op surgery

my 18 year old son had endoscopic nissen fundoplication in Apr 2011.  He has gone to Emergency about 15 times, seen the doctor numerous times, and seen another gastroentenologist.  He no longer has acid reflux but he has many episodes of retching that go on for days some times.  He has missed school and is unable to be a dependable employee. The last 5 months have been a roller coaster.  He has periods when he feels great, then can wake up to this uncontrolable retching.  As you know, he cannot throw up with this surgery.  He lost 30 lbs initially, and has gone up and down in weight.  He is very frustrated, and now wishes he never had the surgery.  He was sent to see another specialist, and after waiting 2 months was told it was probably gas.  They do not seem to get how debilitating this is.  Has anyone experienced this and if so has your doctor figured it out???
Tags: surgery

Hi ...I am so sorry ur DS is having to deal with this...I have heard about others having this same issue...I have not had the surgery....

I pray u get answers from some of the members.

Please let us know what u find out and keep us posted on his progress.

"selma"
Hi, I have had three fundoplications in 18 month period and am scheduled for a fourth in a few months. I had the same problems as your son except near the end I did throw up all the time. the vagus nerve was pinched, have your Doctor look at that. I can't believe they have let him go this long without helping him. The vagus nerve being pinched can cause the muscles of the esophagus will lose their tone and this can create a problem with food entering the esophagus if the vagus nerve is damaged. Inside the abdomen, there is an increase in the amount of acid produced in the stomach. This can result in vomiting and damage to the lining of the stomach. The intestines will lose their ability to carry out peristalsis to move the food along the digestive tract. Constipation or even more bowel impaction can result.
Gastro Tracker
Gastro