GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
ppis cause more reflux?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

ppis cause more reflux?

.Have  taken all the ppis they make.  I feel  especially when I am on ppis I get even more reflux.  I wonder if my proton pumps kick into overdrive when on ppis and they cause more reflux.  is there any proof that this can happen? I am going to call my dentist this week and see if he will give me my dental records.  I had one real bad check up with 4 cavities when I was on a double dose of ppis.
I started out with a sore throat about 2 years ago, while taking a bid dose of a ppi a started to get stomach and chest pain.  My doctor told me to keep taking the ppi so i did.  I stopped after getting bad diarrhea. its been all most a year now and I still have chest and stomach pains all the time.  My doctor still wants to give me ppis and I feel they are making me worse.  I would like to know can ppis make your reflux worse?  I know about rebound, I need to know is there any evidence that while on ppis they make your reflux worse
thank you for your answer
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
620923_tn?1393294254
Hi...not all meds work for everyone and PPI's may not be the right med for u....have u tried the H2 blockers? I was on PPI's for yrs and during my last fare they stopped working, and I was rx'd a H2I....and that works great.....

I still have issues when my IBS flares it affects my hiatal hernia....so I need to keep that calm to keep my GERD calm.....

U may want to ask a GI dr if u may have other issues going on....things like H.Pylori?

If u feel worse on H2I  as u do on a PPI...I would think that mayb u have too little acid....u will feel the same as too much......have u had a PB level done?

Also...u want to look at ur Gall Bladder too.

"selma"

Blank
thanks Selma for your kind reply

I have been every where trying to find a treatment, ( forget cure) for my reflux problems.  I had 4 endoscopys they checked for H.Pylori none found.  I also took a breath tested and treated for sbio, it showed borderline.  I never had my gallblater checked.  They did find a  
Hiatal hernia  
I have been to Mayo and they found more stuff wrong but the treatment they gave me did not work well.

the thing is I started out with a sore throat.  I given a double dose of ppis and then started to get stomach and chest pains. I got these pains while on ppis.
everyone says ppis can not cause more reflux, but in my case i think they did.
thanks for reading
Jason
Blank
h2 blockers like zantac did not help........thanks
Jason
Blank
620923_tn?1393294254
Are u planning on being on the Live Chat for GERD tomorrow?...the dr that will be on may discuss other treatments for hiatal hernia's...he suggests a chiro to manipulate it down...but u must find a chiro that knows how to do this.....it may be what could give u some relief.....

Good luck

"selma"
Blank
thanks selma I will try and be online then
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
GERD (Acid Reflux) Community Resources