GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
surgery for hiatal hernia

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

surgery for hiatal hernia

i had an EGD done and was told I had a huge hiatal hernia but wasn't told which kind.  I was wondering if they ever did surgery to correct tthis? and if so how and what was done?
Yes. The surgery for a hiatal hernia is the Nissen Fundaplication, where a portion of the fundus is wrapped around the esophagus in the area of the lower esophageal sphincter.

As for the type, 90% of all hiatal hernias are sliding hernias, not paraesophageal, so it's probably a sliding hiatal hernia that you have.
Hi a year and half ago I had Nissan Fundiplication Surgery. Very successful surgery. Although there is no guarantee that it will last or for how long.  I had a thoracic surgeon a very good one. Here I am now one & a half years after and I have been diagnosed now with a paraesophogeal hernia and a zenekers diverticulum. The first hernia was a sliding hernia and they are very common. Often not treated if no symptoms are present. I did have symptoms. As I do now. My paraesophogeal hernia is considered medium size. They are more dangerous as they can strangle the stomach and cut off the blood supply. It is important that you are under doctors care.
Lots of times we are all diagnosed with esophagitis and they have to clear that before surgery. It's an allergy in your esophagus but they don't know what causes it. Just thought I'd the information.