tightness in throat, nausea, chronic feeling as though i need to gag, miserable, please help
Hi, my name is will. i am eighteen years old and in very good physical shape an otherwise very healthy, but for a long time or at least its seems like an eternity, i have had this recurrent feeling of tightness in my throat just below my jaw bones on either side of my face. It is like i have this constant need to gag, and eventually i finally do but afterwards the feeling just comes right back with no relief.

Some times if i take a sip of a drink of some sort the feeling will go away for a second, but then comes right back and i have to sip on it continuously until it eventually goes away, sometimes not for hours. Another thing that helps a little is chewing peppermint gum. But neither of these completely relieve the feeling.

I have been to many doctors. Until just recently i have referred to this feeling as nausea because it always makes me feel like i need to gag an sometimes almost vomit. Due to this i have had many GI tests done with all clean negative results. I also seemed to notice that this feeling gets worse if i lay in an inclined position such as a dentists chair. This feeling seems to be completely unrelated to anything i do. i am unsure but sometimes it seems to come a little while after i eat, and many times after i eat i will burp for hours, long deep burps.
I have seen a neurologist who diagnosed me with abdominal migraines, and i have since tried several medicines to treat this, all with no results. I have recently several days ago been diagnosed by a different doctor with gastroesophagal reflux disease.
This seemed very strange to me as the main symptom is heartburn and i very rarely get heartburn.  the day before yesterday i was prescribed prevacid solutabs that dissolve in my mouth and gas x for the burping. so far i can tell no difference whatsoever, but it has only been two days and i am going to see if they work after a couple weeks.

I have always referred to this as nausea because it makes me feel like i need to gag and vomit, so i always believed it was some sort of digestive problem as did the doctors. and recently the idea hit me that this could possibly be something wrong with my throat?

This is so miserable, it is practically ruining my life. If anyone has any suggestions as  to what is causing this, or anyone out there with the same symptoms, please comment i would greatly greatly appreciate it and thank you for taking the time to read this
I have been having dry heaves and gagging for 10 years now, it is miserable.   I tried Lunesta for sleeping and It really helped with the gagging.  I researched the side effects and hiccups is one of them so I think there might be some connection there with the gagging.  Now I'm taking lunesta for its side effects.  The down side is, this drug is expensive.  My experience with doctors was a blank stare.  I think med school should be a lot longer than 4 years.  I haven't gotten any answers from any of the 10 doctors I saw, but I got a bill from every one of them.
I have pretty much the same symptoms as Will. I am 15 years old and I am healthy. I am physically active also. Usually a half an hour to an hour after I eat I have an urge to gag and throw up. It feels this for the rest of the day/night. If I try to go to sleep it keeps me up. I am hungry and my stomach feels fine but my lower throat has a feeling of nauseousnes. I never got to the point of gagging or vomiting or even going to the doctor because I haven't had this for long (like 3 weeks). If I have the feeling that I might gag or vomit I start to sweat and my heart starts to race as if I am going to vomit. This really *****! I'll comment back if I get a cure, treatment, or diagnoses for this.  
I am 30 years old and I too have suffered on and off with this gagging thing.  Mine is usually worse in the morning after I wake up.  At one point I was waking up with stomach issues and then feeling gaggy for about 30 mins to an hour, go back to sleep, and wake up again in the morning gaggy.  I also felt like I was going crazy....felt awful.  I missed three days of work and I have not missed that many days in the last ten years of working.  It was the worst feeling in the world.  I have gotten better...I started generic paxil and omeprazole and also had some oral zofran and a half of a xanax to get me through it.  I don't know what sparked it or anything...it just came on and comes and goes.  I pray that someone will find a reason for these episodes in all of us!
I was ill, violently vomiting, about 3 months ago, and recently this feeling of gagging and nausea has occured. I am 14, healthy etc and have been to the doctor who prescribed ranitidine as he thought it was stomach acid, which has stopped the nausea but the feeling in my throat is still carrying on. He sent me for an ultrasound to check there is nothing in my stomach, but it came back clear, as did blood tests. I am to finish the course of ranitidine but I don't think anyone is bothered as nothing showed up on any of my tests. Mine is very bad in the morning, about 1-2 hours after I get up, and then generally subsides to a steady feeling for the rest of the day. I honestly don't know what's wrong with me, kind of scared :/
labgerms and g07hg1, please post your questions as a separate post so we can answer your questions.  Thanks.
Hey will3477, I just looked up "nausea in the throat" on google, and your post immediately popped up as the first link! Amazing that I just joined this site a few days ago asking a question on my own page about nausea...

My symptoms are a lot like yours, I was surprised how close it was! I'm 18 years old, and I've had nausea for 5 years now, after getting a small stomach flu 5 years ago and the nausea never left. It's harsh, because I've had to turn down hanging out with friends, social things, etc, because I was afraid I was going to barf, but  Yeah, I've had an endoscopy, barium swallow, ultrasound, ear nose and throat test, allergy test (man, THAT one hurt!), eye test, psychiatrists, psychologists, you name it to try and understand why I was feeling nauseous all the time, but then I realized that it wasn't my stomach that was feeling nauseous, it was my throat, like yours. I don't feel like gagging, but I have tried heartburn meds and others, and nothing seems to have worked... but finding out from a psychologist, I have anxiety, and I already knew I have a SEVERE fear of throwing up...

But then, after initially going back to my pediatrician a few months ago, I had seen him the first time my nausea happened (the 5 years ago), and he didn't diagnose me as anything, but then I said I kept having it, and he IMMEDIATELY diagnosed it as "esophogeal spasms" which I had no clue what they were, and the symptoms I looked up didn't exactly match his, but they might match yours....

So maybe you could ask a psychiatrist if it has something to do with your mentality, as I get nauseous for no reason, then I freak out and get nervous because I'm deathly afraid of throwing up, which makes the "nausea" worse, which makes me freak out more, which makes it worse... you get the cycle. Maybe ask if you have a small bit of anxiety.
Also, ask your doctor about esophogeal spasms...maybe that could be it!

Hope this helps!

Lauren
the only thing that helped me was primatine pills, but they will keep u awake.
I think mine is food allergies
I know exactly what's wrong with you. I had the exact same thing, and I went to the doctor, who told me I had postnasal drip. Taking Zrytec daily solved my problem 100%
sooo greatful to have come across this! I know I have anxiety and acid reflux and that stress makes those things worse, but the gagging/burping up foam etc was so strange to me. But I havent really had it since I was a teenager, and life was very stressful for me as a teenager. And recently its come back since a string of very stressful incidents, including my fiance's frustration due to my use of pot for my condition(s)/illness(es), but Ive never had a Dr. show any true concern or care let alone come up with a treatment...Im still trying to find answers and solutions though, but it helps to see Im not alone or abnormal.
I'm Samanda and I am 18. I also have very similar problems to what everyone has been posting. I've been having this problem for awhile now and still have no idea as to what it could be. The doctor gave me Nexium and that did not help at all. Lately I have been gagging alot more. Before it would just happen after I eat no matter what kind of food I ate. Now it happens as soon as I wake up and goes on for a while. I started researching and GERD is the main thing that pops up. It does say that the most common symptom is heartburn, I have never had heartburn before and some other symptoms that show I also have never had them. Personally I dont feel that I have GERD but then again there could be different symptoms for everyone. When I went to the doctor about this he said my esophagus could be narrowing, I never got the test done to see exactly what is wrong and the doctor didn't do anything or tell me of anything else that could be wrong. Another thing I saw some people saying in their post is that that have to constantly have cough drops or gum. I do have to have either of these things constanly and it does help somewhat. I'm very tired of this and it is embarrassing having to act like nothing is wrong or putting my head down every time after I eat. Thanks, and if you have any responses or would just like to comment back I would greatly appreciate it.
Me too. Im deathly afraid of throwing up.. I went through the same round of tests with no answers.. It started when i was 18 and now im 34 and it has not happened since i was maybe 20.. I offen wonder if that is somthing that happens to people at that age and go away.. Mine felt like a shooting feeling that would go up.. but not my stomach..  Because of it i now have a fear of vomiting! Big time! My heart races and i freak if i think im going to puke.. I just thought i would let ya know this..
Hi Everyone, My name is Gaby and I am 22 yrs. old All my life I have battled anxiety for periods of time, it's all connected with the nervous system and due to my body being under much stress most of my life it caused other health problems so when I was 15 I was diagnosed with acid re-flux. Believe it or not anxiety or if its not necessary that any other kind of nervous system problems and stomach problems go hand in hand, a few years later when i was 19 I was diagnosed with GERD and this year (2011) I went through a high period of stress and my body started reacting funny. One day I gagged and to my misery I have been gagging since May of this year. It gets worse when I get anxious like if I'm having a meeting or going out to dinner with my co-workers, I start gagging out of fear of gagging. So I embarked on a journey to heal and free myself of this misery. Since the reflex(gag) has since been embedded deep in my subconscious is obviously hard to control so I have begun a series of sessions with 3 different techniques I will update everyone on this if it can free me it can free everyone else I know it. This just started recently and I think of it like this, I wasn't born with it. It did not exist before in me it developed due to a trauma, and I can surely make it go away.
This happens to me all the time and I feel like my life is totally subject to this awful feeling i cannot predict or control. for me my throat just gets very tight, my mouth waters, my face gets flush and i become convinced i will throw up. i never do, but even as i tell myself "this is in your head, you wont be sick", my body is so so convinced that im about to be ill, i have to run to the bathroom.  i spend evenings eyeing the closest exit, making sure i can get to the bathroom easily, running outside to get some air, and all for somehting that might just be in my head.  i dont know what causes it, and i dont know what to do to prevent it, but it always manages to ruin my plans.  its been years now i feel so frustrated it makes me want to cry,  i have had panic issue sint he past, and i recently weaned off of my panic meds and my syptoms havent become any more prevalent, so i wont if its even anxiety-related. i cant follow any specific food that causes it.  ugh, im just exhausted by this problem
I know exactly how you feel. I am 24 years old and have been dealing with stomach issues since my daughter was born in 2006. I had a wonderful pregnancy, no nausea no vomiting, nothing and had a beautiful healthy daughter. Before i was pregnant i was healthy and very rarely ever sick.  In 2007, after being undiagnosed for 6-8 months, they found gallstones and my gallbladder was removed, but even now 4 years later, i'im still sick and suffering.  I was also diagnosed with hiatal hernia, acid reflux, GERD. I'm now on nexium 40mg 2x a day, as my symptoms tend to get wrose at night but now happen at all times of the day, and usually right after i eat. my symptoms include; out of no where feeling nausea, constant belching, feeling tightness in my throat, feels like someone is standing on my stomach right in the center of my ribs. I have this constant feeling, and sometimes do, to gag. I too seem to think it helps to keep sippin small sips of water or gingerale. When i burp i get a little feel or relief but only for a brief second and then it just comes back. The burping is just horrible and its not like a normal burp either. and it just  happens over n over again but yet sometimes feels like I need to burp but can't, like its stuck. I just recently was seen by my new GI specialist and had an ultrasound. So far no answers. im scheduled to have upper gi series 2nd week of december and then a colonoscopy the week after. 2 years ago i was sapost to have a colonoscopy done because i had blood tests done that showed that my blood work came out positive for crohns but i chickened out on the colonoscopy, but now im DESPERATE. I can't take it anymore. I'm also exteremely afraid to vomit so i take phenergan to help w.the nausea. I just don't want to go through this anymore. I have a beautiful 5 year old girl and i want to be healthy for her, i'm tired of her seeing me sick. I'm also afraid to work a lot of times bc i'm always afraid i'll feel sick in the middle of work and end up vomiting. My fingers are crossed for these tests to show SOMETHING!...

anyone else going through this?
Hi! I realize you posted this many years ago but I am currently suffering with the same  exact issue that came on after pregnancy! Did you ever find a solution?
HI ALL. . . I AM A MALE 66  YEARS  OLD . . . I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING THE WEB FOR A RECENT PROBLEM
OF HAVING A FEELING OF GAS AFTER EATING ANYTHING.. .  OF ANY AMOUNT AND IT MAKES ME
   FEEL LIKE I NEED TO BURB BUT I CAN'T EVENTUALLY I WILL GET SOME FOOD TO COME UP BUT NO
BURP. . .THERE IS NO HEARTBURN OR PAIN BUT I FEEL KINDA SICK AND MY THROAT FEELS TIGHT LIKE MY FOOD HAS NOT WENT DOWN . . . IT'S ONLY BEEN A FEW DAYS BUT IT IT SURE DON'T MAKE YOU FEEL MUCH LIKE EATING IF YOU KNOW THAT GAS FEELING WILL COME BACK. . . . ANYBODY ELSE HAVE THESE EXACT SYPTOMS . . . WHAT REALLY BOTHERS ME IS IT HAPPENS WITH ONE POTATO CHIP
OR A FULL MEAL ????? I AM QUITE HEALTHY OTHERWISE EAT RIGHT AND GET EXERCISE
I AM NOT HEAVY BY ANY MEANS . . 6'1' 150 LBS. . .  I GO TO MY DOC FOR MY YEARLY CHECKUP . ..
   BUT IS IT TIME TO GO SEE HIM ABOUT THIS?
Hi,with deep sympathy for all suffering. From age 6 the constant nausea and severe fear of vomitting ruled my life.the fear so bad at times I would paralise my body.I am 58 and free of all that hell. the answer (some of It instant and some in stages because I had multiple problems) was Jesus.His presence and peace which passes all understanding was the answer and I found Him at 18yrs.Life has been AMAZING because He is amazing.
I'm 16 and I've had this for over 9 months, its been taking control of my life and I am sick of It. However, I discovered I was intolerant to gluten and casein, I stopped eating those, and I already feel so much better. This was dragging me to despression. Anyways goodluck.
How did you discover you were intolerant to gluten and casein--Did you have tests done? Have your symptoms stopped? I too am currently suffering with this problem
Have just made an emergency trip to doctors. Finally a doctor who suffers the same thing!!!!!! Is anxiety, which we knew, has a name 'hyperventilation syndrome'. Told us about a website Breathing Works.co.nz Recommend buying the book by Dinah Bradley/Morrison. Its all about breathing properly and it worked!!!!!! Daughter was with him for 5 mins and completely different kid. Like everyone else been to all these so called experts and have had every test imaginable done. He said 20% of population get it, meds last resort, but the deep breathing he got her to do WORKED!!!! Good luck.
Hi, My 11 yr old daughter has been gagging since last March. After she was diagnosed with reflux/esophagitis we tried a Lactose free diet and Zantac. It has gotten a bit better but still keeping us home most of the time. We just started a gleten free diet, which is tuff but hopeful she'll get back to normal soon. Let me know how you do with this.
severe pain in the ribs forever nausea acidity and burping for more than a month.
achoo
is the pain on the right just under the ribs and radiates to the back ..if so Gall bladder issues ask for a Hida scan ....good luck
I know exactly what you mean!!!  I get all those symptoms all the time.  Mine comes on like a singular hiccup, then I gag, or even throw up.  I'm 21 now and have had these uncontrollable hiccup throat spasms for almost 4 years now.  I've had a gastro specialist look at it, they pumped for 2 hours with what looked like 8 oz of mystery radiation fluid to make my insides glow (don't ask me how that's good for you) and trigger my gallbladder.  Of course nothing was solved And I was sick from whatever was in that giant horse trank.
Recently I have just given up my quest because I can't keep missing school (I already spent a month on a leave of absence in and out of the hospital to get this solved) and its way too expensive.  I'm tired of giving money to Dr.s and pharmaceutical companies that don't help their patience, only prescribe mystery medicine that never works and costs too much.
That's what it was called, a hida scan. I did the research myself and presented it to my dr to get one because she didn't put two and two together. (yea my drs kind of suck)
It might work for you, it definitely didn't for me though.  good luck
My six yr old son has had reflux since birth, always spitting up and fussy. Last February he had what appeared to be an asthma attack. Dr put him on albuterol nebulizer 3-4 times a day. Many trips to his Dr, steroids and antibiotics and antihistamines later we changed drs. Had him tested for allergies and asthma and was negative. He was however diagnosed with LPR and vocal cord dysfunction and had been sporting. He was placed on 40 mg nexium at night and had stopped puking every day. Three weeks ago he woke up two mornings in a row saying he couldn't breath, in his throat. Urgent care Dr said bronchitis and sinuitis, er Dr said asthma and stridor, pedi Dr said croup and stridor. Allergist said he was aspirating again and the reflux irritated the vocal cords and throat causing it to close. Will be taking him to an ent and gastro dr for more testing soon. Maybe some of this will help you.
When I found this forum I was so relieved to know that I am not the only one who has this. My symptoms are incredibly close to what you have. I am a sophomore in high school and this "feeling" of sorts is like yours; it seems to control my life. But if there has been one thing that I have "learned" from this ongoing and continuous situation is that you just need to keep pushing through. You cannot let this control you. There are some bad days, but there will be good days too. You cannot let this come to define who you are. I know this sounds cliché, I really do, but you cannot stand by. It will be hard, and it might not go away, but you need to push through. There will be a time when liberation is possible, if only for a moment.
I've been experiencing the exact same symptoms for 7 years.  I used to be able to eat full meals, exercise, or do some sort of physical activity without any problems.  Now, every day is like a war to me.  I battle through the day with the feeling of globus, dysphagia, random and sometimes constant gag reflexes, trapped gas (inability to burp), nausea, and constant stomach discomfort.  I've had medical examinations done and everything turned out normal.  Physicians all say it's "stress/anxiety" or "GERD".  I take medications for it but they don't always work.  I still get dark, gloomy days.  And when I get them, I tend to harp over it which makes the situation worse.  For those of you out there who experience the above symptoms, always remember to stay positive no matter what.
Hi, My name is Amanda Lynn!
I too have the same problem, some things different tho, like cold air can't be inhaled through my mouth, automatic gag to the near point of throwing up. Which is weird because the one and only thing that helps sooth it or make it go away for a min or so is ice cold water, weird I know..also, and this will be even weirder, but burping relieves it too. I have to be careful after eating too because if that gag kicks in there goes the food, there is no stopping it from happening. I am sure it is not acid reflux, because when i get acid reflux i know that fizzy feeling in my throat/chest and i can feel the splash of the acid moving around, and this gag thing comes with no symptoms other then the gagging and sometimes throwing up. I am a 27 year old woman, i'm a am bigger in size and have no other health complications that would lead to the gagging problem. I have not seen a doctor yet because I am very worried it's something wrong with my throat, or something growing in my throat the might need surgery. I have had these symptoms for the past 3 years. I read on one of these sites from someone answering that it could be Diabetes as well, but it said u typically throw up your first meal of the day only, when the gag hits me sometime it will be with me for hours (like today from 7:30am till 2:00 PM) Although Diabetes does run in my family and wither or not i test positive for diabetes and i have a strong feeling that is not what it is.. I will post back after I see a doctor (who will most likely say it's GERD or acid reflux) and get test done i will update you on what my "Diagnoses" is. Take care Will and everyone else living this gagging hell.  
Same here. I know this is an old thread but it's been killing me for the past few days. It's almost like a little object or pill is stuck in my throat or esophagus. Very terrible. Oddly enough it all started after I took some aspirin. I'm not nauseous or anything but it's a constant gag feeling. Does seem to get worse as I decline or lay down. Things I find odd about this are I've never had vid reflex problems and heart burn all my life has been very rare . Drinking water is the only temp fix on this.
My Daughter is 12 years old! The past few weeks she has been up most of the night gagging! She describes it as "Soggy Food" stuck in her throat! Which is keeping her awake! This is the only symptom she has! She just says her throat feels really tight! Anyone know what this is please?? Thanks
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to share my experience, and possibly shed some light on things.
First, I believe that a sudden onset of the hyper gag reflex is a symptom, not a condition. I also believe it is somehow histamine and anxiety related. Although certainly in other cases it is a result of chronic reflux, or GERD, which seems to be a common condition in most of these posts.

I'm experiencing the hyper gag reflex currently, and have had it in the past. It's very difficult to brush my teeth properly, especially if I touch the back of my tongue. There is a constant tight, almost burning feeling from the thyroid area up to the back of the throat, and I as well have had a history of GERD. I've also had my gallbladder removed, about 7 years ago, because of severe gallbladder attacks and the discovery via ultrasound that it was packed with stones. Plus, my appendix was removed almost 20 years ago due to acute appendicitis.
I've always had a major issue with belching, and sometimes when I have a large build up of gas in my stomach, I will feel extremely nauseous, discomfort in the chest (spasms of the esophageal sphincter), heightened anxiety, heart palpitations, difficulty with breathing rhythm, sweating, and overall really crappy. I try to belch, but can't, only to take in more air. When my esophageal sphincter finally relaxes, I will let out a massive belch, and all symptoms disappear instantly. So, like most of you, I've had gastric issues. But, never a gagging feeling associated with it. However...

14 years ago, I dealt with some severe lower back issues, some of which requiring surgery, and now my neck is in the same condition. I'm only 44 now, but have had degenerative disk disease since my 20's, as well as the steady progression of osteoarthritis in my lower back and neck. This points to an autoimmune issue.
Back then, I was on a hefty dose of opiate analgesics for 4 years straight. Recently, I was back on them for a year and a half. I quit 2 weeks ago. Both times, as well as when I would run out of meds too early, an aspect of the withdrawal symptoms was a sudden onset of a severe gag reflex, even just touching my throat makes me gag, but only if I touch the area just below the jaw. I've also at the same time, developed sneezing fits and increased mucous production. This tells me that somehow the opiates altered my histamine levels, and when I stop the meds, I develop allergy symptoms I don't normally have, which may be causing the gagging as well, but somehow I think the gagging is heightened anxiety from the detox, and my nervous system coming back to life.

So, in a lot of cases, the gagging is usually a symptom, not the condition, which makes it so hard to pin down. With some it's hormonal, can be caused by imbalance of the thyroid glands, can be caused by overactivity of the adrenal glands, can be caused by chronic GERD (which eventually burns out the nerves in the lower esophagus and we don't feel the burning acidity anymore), can be caused by chronic anxiety and/or depression, drug side effects or withdrawal, diet, and the list goes on. When it's caused by increased adrenaline and cortisol, the fight or flight hormones, increased physical activity can either help relieve it, or stimulate it more if there are deeper triggers. This is why we can feel sick and sometimes vomit when we are frightened, or suffer from panic/anxiety disorder, and feel the squirt of adrenaline into the gut area, directly affecting the digestive system.

Because the hyper gag reflex is symptomatic, it can be difficult to pin down the cause, especially if it is anxiety related, which in itself is also a symptom, and won't show up in physical examinations.

I'm sorry if my post was long winded, but hopefully it might help individuals try to find the cause of their misery. I'm not a Doctor... but have seen enough of them in my life, and always investigated my health issues independently. If you're going to be a patient, be an informed one.  
Hi will,
I have the same problem, I feel very sick every single day sometimes worse than others. It is a gagging feeling aswell, it makes me want to keep on yawning. It is ruining my life!!
I have had my throat tighten up a few times like this. Usually after I've puked. The only way I've found temperaru releif is by burping. Yet every time I burp it would make me salivate and I would need to swallow. And each time I swallow it brings the feeling back creating the need to burp again to relieve the pressure. Such a horrible feeling.
As it only usually last for a couple days this time it lasted 3 days. In the 3rd day it wouldn't let it keep me from going to the gym so I went lastnigjt.
I usually start with good mornings and squats. As I was doing my good mornings I would go down with proper form and shape my neck like a hook to hold the weight. While doing this I stained my neck hard in purpose. It seemed that after only my second set that the pressure was gone.
I think that when I would puke my neck and throat muscles would strain or overwork themselves forcing them in an awkward position. Where as when I do heavy goodmornings I feel that my body straining forces my neck and throat muscles into their normal position.
I really hope that this helps as I know it was very discomforting and annoying as ever.
It really helped me to find this old thread today. I have been having a problem with this "gagging thing" for over 10 years now. I have been to several doctors (who have all made me feel crazy) and been told allergies, GERD, reflex the whole gambit. I've also had an endoscopy and and the barium swallow test...all negative. I've noticed that the gagging is worse when I'm outdoors.

I definitely want to continue to fight this thing; whatever it is. What I'm most afraid of is being told it's nothing, but then having a worse issue later in life. I'm 31-years-old and have been dealing with this issue since the age of 20. Thanks to all of you for the information and support.
Ok Jerry I have the exact thing here.  Just went to a heart doc for help.    No idea what this is... I take prilesect but it does not help.   Feel like this with one bite or a bowl...
Jerry if you go to the doc and get some help please let me know what they say...  Nothing has helped me so far...  
hey, Try looking up cyclic vomiting syndrome....i see no cure YET, but this will at least get you a step closer and you can look up remedies.
Hey I have the same issue. Do you have swollen glands are lymph nodes under your chin are by your throat at all?
I am 47 years old and I sometimes have the feeling of gag , especially in the morning. I went to see a few specialist and the only one who came close to it was The ENT . There is something called silent reflux (LPR), you don't have to have heart burn to have reflux. What is happening is the acid goes up the throat and damages the lining of the structure , the esophagus is equipped to handle the acid and you may not feel any heart burn during the episode. As time goes by your throat becomes very sensitive to the damage from the acid content, you will feel there is always something in the throat and you want to gag to get rid of it. The way to treat the condition is the same as GERD, don't expect it is a week of treatment, it can take more than 6 months. I find it better if I choose a gum every time when I have the feeling.
It could be a food sensitivity that you are not aware you are allergic to. Best thing is to see a clinical dietitian  or nutritionist and get tested. Your body  can develop food sensitives over time and your intestines will develop antibodies cause you to feel sick.
Solution found! Hello. My name is Pablo, and I was going through hell due to the problem, spoken about on this thread. Thanks to the doctors’ help and your posts, I finally found out what was causing the symptoms and derived a solution. I will inform you about my symptoms to make sure you are suffering from the same. If you are, implement the solution below.
Symptoms: Nausea throughout the day (comes and goes); vomiting if nausea was bad enough; excess gas coming up and out of my throat (mini, inaudible belches). Pertaining to food, I was still very hungry but could not eat due to fear of vomiting; when I did eat, I felt nauseous throughout the process. Note that nausea occurred whether or not I ate. When checked up medically, all results were negative on all tests.
Problem: Since results were negative (on my and several of your tests), I deduced it had to be something not picked up via medical exams: a neuro-muscular problem. Indigestion, the inability to properly digest food, is associated with nausea, vomiting, and minor belching. Weak gastrointestinal muscles are linked with gastroparesis, their lack of proper functioning, which causes indigestion. Similar to what is seen in chemotherapy patients, weakened stomach muscular fibers/cells cause nausea and vomiting. Hence, the problem was an overall weakened gastrointestinal system.*
Solution: Like any other muscle in your body, weakened muscles are strengthened by contraction. Specifically, just as you would contact a bicep, I focused on contracting the esophagus, esophageal sphincter, and stomach throughout the day. Prolonged contraction of these muscles strengthened them back to prior state.** Now, I am, as they say, ‘good as new’.
*This medical problem is officially known as dyspepsia; however, 6 out of 10 cases have unknown causes and, therefore, no treatment. I believe that the unknown causes are now known thanks to you, the doctors, and myself, and treatment therefor is simple.
**Note that the solution’s duration will be contingent upon the degree of gastrointestinal weakness: weaker muscles could take several weeks to months to rehabilitate fully.
If you have any individual questions, please reply to this comment, and I will contact you shortly thereafter.
Hi, great info! How exactly do you contract the muscles of your esophagus?
Thank you for your information. Did you have surgery prior to gastroparesis?  My son age 16 had Nissan fundoplication, gastric emptying study normal prior to surgey (severe reflux x years), and now he has gastric paresis and sow motility of intestines causing a lot of trouble , and from what I am reading, an unwrap (undo of the Nissan) is serious but he wants it undone, he can't even make it to school/work some days due to the pain if he tries to eat. It sits in his stomach for a day, moves slowly down,meds don't help.  Do you know of any testing to check for the vagal nerve being intact enough to have the surgery undone and then he may get his stomach contractions back? thank you
Researchbefortrusting, I neither had any surgery prior to gastroparesis nor felt pain during the whole incident. To reiterate, it was principally nausea and the accompanying vomiting. Check with your and your son's certified physician to see whether or not undoing the surgical procedure, which is not doing its job, is a viable option. In my opinion, I would have your son experiment with strengthening the gastrointestinal muscles (as mentioned in my original post) for a few weeks to see if your son's condition improves. It takes patience, as muscles can take weeks or months to return to their normal state. Best of luck.
Hi did you find a solution to your throat tightness problem?
Hi I took acid reducer(Omeprazole) medicine and it went away. At first, I didn't think it was acid reflux bcuz I didn't feel any burning. I took it anyway and the feeling went away almost instantly.
Guys it could most likely be acid reflux.
Take acid reducer medicine.
I've been on acid reflux meds for more than 5years now.  My gaging 24/7 hasn't went away at all. My digesting is not better and my stomachs hurts everyday on and off
I know how you feel it's terrible will
Hey, Im 18 and Ive had similar things to you but my throat is that tight sometimes it feels like I cant breath. But I get the dizzyness really bad and the gagging I can't eat food without gagging and almost vomiting after as well as I cough and I just constantly gag for each cough, it really does suck. :/