GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
trouble swallowing, tight throat, lump

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

trouble swallowing, tight throat, lump

I need some suggestions, anything, I'm going nuts. I am 51 and have been going through a lot of different medical issues since Jan, 2010.  Its one thing after another.  I have posted on here before.  So the latest is, I have had trouble swallowing food, pills...and am for the most part limited to certain soups, broths, water and things of that nature.  I constantly feel like there is a lump, mostly on the right, sometimes in the middle, in my throat, it feels tight like something is constantly stuck there. which is now becoming sore when I breath or bend my head up or down, coughing, and when I drink it feels like something is being mis-routed to the left of my throat causing a quick sharp like pain below the collar bone.  I have been having this for about 3 months.  I have been on thyroid med for over 25 years due to Graves Disease which was treated  with radioactive iodine.  Since then I have taken a pill a day and had my blood taken regularly, however with my recent heart problem, the doc totally took me off thyroid med, ( not for long),  until he got my heart stable. I am now on Lopressor for a rapid heart beat and my doc wanted to prevent heart failure (that has slowed it down but now my thyroid dose, Levothyroxine has changed also. I am also taking Prilosec OTC.  I have seen an ENT, had a barium swallow and the latest was a modified barium swallow where ate and drank different textures.  While there, a speech therapist said it was very narrow and my throat was very tight, (could be part thyroid, acid reflux) and she also said I should see a nutritionist.  She mentioned possible dilation of the throat.  I am due to go back to the ENT but I am so miserable, losing weight, no energy and just full of liquids and pills, (once in a while I will just suck on some food just for the taste or chew it and spit it out and every day trying to pull myself through, without knowing really anything. I'm an upbeat person but this is a big stretch.  I'm wondering thyroid cancer, tumor, nodule???  There is definitely something but by the time you can get an appointment to get tests, go from one doc to another.... its crazy stuff.  Any ideas/comments would be helpful, thanks
Hi first I suggest u see a GI dr for these issues not a ENT...u might get a lot further that way...

This is a support forum , and I do not know that much about cancers and such...but u may want to try the expert forum or the live chat on April 7th

Click on the link to register and for more details

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/GERD-Acid-Reflux/GERD-HEARTBURN--HEALTH-CHAT--REGISTER-NOW/show/1181506

U may also want to look at this link in the Health pages here on MedHelp

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Gastroenterology/Symptoms-of-Laryngopharyngeal-Reflux-are/show/779?cid=236
thank you for your suggestions, I do appreciate them.
You should get checked with a gastroscopy. I was diagnosed with oesophagal cancer followed by a oesophagectomy. I'm not saying that's your problem, but definitely there should be no delay in checking this.
thank u for your comment and suggestion, I appreciate it
I too am having trouble since jan. I also had the treatment for graves 20 years ago. I have no insurance so am looking to this forum for help.I have gerd, acid reflux  and tightness lump feeling in throat. I just went off my lphenylalanine because it causes throat issues. It is what is in aspertame.Do you drink diet soda?Apple cider vinager with water 1 tab helped today.Take organic unrefined see if it helps. I had a real bad time with it when my thyroid was to low,you can't digest food. It messes up your digestion.
thanks for your response.  I can't even drink soda any more unless its flat and even then it can bother me.  I've heard of apple cider vinegar working and was going to try it.  I have a feeling its a combination of acid reflux and my thyroid since I have such a long thyroid history.  I'm going back to ENT in a few days and then my primary care doc.  my problem is, I feel like I'm being passed around like a ball because nobody knows what to do with me.  I'm going to suggest an Endocrinologist for my thyroid.  See if you can apply for some insurance through the state or city.  good luck to you.