GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
tummy bug

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

tummy bug

hi my name is Peter. I recently got very sick on saturday and haven't gotton better since. I had a headache on saturday evening and took a nap at 7pm. got up at midnight and then went to the bathroom. after a while I felt I had to puke, so i did. after that I went to bed and felt fine. Next morning, I felt like ****. Was very achy but still went out to the movies with my girlfriend. While we were walking, I felt I had to go to the bathroom and I broke wind and it was a little diarhea (diarrhea). SO i rushed to a nearby bathroom and diarhea (diarrhea) came out. the rest of the day I was in and out of the bathroom with diarhea (diarrhea) that was very dark brown. I didn't stop until late Tuesday morning. But Tuesday night, I ate mac and cheese (because I didn't have a full meal the last 2 days because I was so sick) and then went to bed about an hour or so after I ate it. My back was achy so I got a back massage from my gf. During this, I was coughing badly and felt I had to puke. So I got up and went to the bathroom and puked my guts out. I then felt like I could barely walk. It wasn't an anxiety attack, panic attack or acid reflux attack but I just felt really weak after that. I have felt weak since Monday and today I still feel icky. I have been breaking wind non-stop the whole day (sorry for the gory details) and nothing I take for it works (pepto bismol, phazyme, gas-X, Pepcid AC) My stol did get a little better yesterday but today it went back to being loose and not hard. I feel really awful and would like to know if this is from food poisoning, since I had a meatball sandwich from SUBWAY, or just a very bad stomach big/virus. I am going to see a doctor tomorrow to see what's wrong but if someone give me their opinion and some advice on how to control it or get better in a jiffy I will be very greatful.

thanks

Peter Pompilio
Hi Peter and welcome to the Gerd forum.

Anytime u have loose bowels more than 2 days be sure to drink a liquid such as gatoraid to restore the electrolytes that u r loosing...and drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.

It is  not possible to know if u had food posoning or if u had a stomach bug....

If it was a bug, the meds u mention will not work ....plus most meds like pepcid...do take a while to notice the effects.

Please let us know what ur dr advises.

"selma"
thanks for writing back. i have been taking peptop bismol and feeling a little better today. still breaking wind but haven't moved my bowels yet. im eating waffles and drinking apple juice so I will see how well I can hold it down. i will go to the dr later today and see what he says. I still think its a virus but who knows. i'll drink some gatorade today and see how I feel. i will let u know what happens
U r welcome.

Please let us know  what the drs advises.

"selma"
well didnt go the the dr today cuz they told me to come in at 8am and then said go to the ER. well i wasnt in an emergency situation i just wanted to see a dr so I left the hospital and called my health care provider, metroplus and they hooked me up with a gastrologist near my house. I have an appointment next thursday so im glad i can hopefuly get some answers. im still going to the bathroom every so often and my stool is becoming like dark brown to an almost black color. its still like diarhea (diarrhea) which is odd that ive had this thing for almost a week. I dont know what to take to combat it as every I have taken doesnt work. pepto calms it down a bit but not so much. I got some TUMS but I doubt that will work. do you know of anything I can take or do to get back to feeling 100%? please help me. :(
I am sorry to ask, but are they balck and tarry in appearance?? If so, call the dr back ASAP...it is an indication of blood in ur stool and can be a serious issue if left too long.

U may have an ulcer .....the ER may have been a good idea to get this addressed.

Since I am not a dr, I can not advise u, or dx u.....I would however suggest u call the dr and tell him how dark in color ur stools are.

Unfortunatly once u have this issue u may never be 100%, and time and following lifestyle tips and diets can help.

Please keep us posted
"selma"
well i think its gone for now. i took a TUMS pill tonight and haven't gone to the bathroom all night. haven't broke wind that much either. so maybe  it was just a bug.

and the stool was just black at times but wasnt a heavy dark black. next time I move my bowels I will check it again and its its dark dark black, i'll go to the dr ASAP and then when i see the gastrologist, ill tell him about it. hopefully i dont have a bleeding ulcer or an ulcer cuz then i'll never be 100% again.

thanks for the help and i'll keep in touch

Peter P
U r welcome Peter, and I pray it is not an ulcer either!!

Do keep us posted on ur progress.

"selma"
I will. feeling better today just a little chest pain but that's normal. gonna take some nexium for it soon. let's hope the TUMS i took last night got the bug or whatever it was out of my system for a long time :)
well i went to the gastrologist and he listened to what I told him and I have to go for an endoscopy on friday morning. im a little scared but i know its a nothing procedure and ill be knocked out for 20-25 mins then stay in the hospital for an hr or 2. then got rest of day off to sleep :D so its all good. i threw up few days ago so hopefully this thing will show me what the hell is wrong in my chest and tummy..
I am so glad to hear ur dr listened and is taking the steps to help find what is going on!!

Try and relax..and do keep us posted!!

"selma"
i will
ok guys endoscopy is done. it went well though it took forever lol.

they found some pollups in my liver buth they were benign thank god. i have an inflamed stomach due to all the aleve and advil ive been taking. so i got to go on tyenol now and continue taking nexium before or after breakfast and then ZANTAC after dinner.

so it went well but now got a very bad back ache :( been hurting since thursday. ben gay and tyenol not working. UGH IM A MESS!

but im ok thanks for all the help
Hi...so glad to hear u got thru it......

it also sounds like u r on the road to feeling better!!

"selma"
i sure hope so. i got a bad back ache in my right side but ive been using ben gay and icy hot so we'll see how that goes. man im all ****** up. UGH!
Ur back pain can be due to all ur stomach issues....once the inflamation (inflammation) subsides it may as well.

"selma"
well its not hurting so much. I got it last thursday and it was killing me this weekend. its starting to subside thankfully. just some more icy hot, heating pad or some ben gay will do the trick :D
Hi...glad to hear u r begining to feel better.

"selma"
thanks a lot :)

any changes ill be sure to let you know. going to the gastrologist tomorrow morning for a check up so hope things go well.
Good luck with ur appointment!!

"selma"
well things went well at the dr. he told me what happened with the endoscopy and said i had pollups in my stomach which were benign and i had a inflamed stomach but he is worried about my liver and was asking me if i ever drank before like go on binge drinking or taken drugs before. ive never taken drugs before other than prescription and over the counter.  I dont do binge drinking. I used to drink occassionalyy when i would go to clubs with my friends. I would have 1 alcoholic drink a week or every other week but when I got diagnosed with GERD in 2006, I never drank again. so he's been bugging me about that but i dont think its serious. i doubt its hepatitis but u never know. so i have to fast on monday night after midnight and go for the sonogram early tuesday morning. boy will that suck. oh well maybe I'll finally get some answers. i see the dr again in 3 weeks for the results. so ill let you know how things went on tuesday ok? thanks for all your help :)
Hi....I will be thinking of u on Tuesday for ur sonogram...and like u I hope ur dr finds what is going on.
I will interject, my father had issues with his liver bcuz of the sludge from his Gall Bladder....ask him to look at it.

"selma"
hmm ok I'll ask if they can look at the gall bladder too. thanks
U r welcome Peter!!

"selma"
well sonogram is over. went ok. was very tired when I got to the place. i think i saw some stuff but maybe I didnt I dunno. Felt a little painful on my sides but I gutted it out. but when I got out, i was very achy in my sides and my chest was hurting. soon as I got home, took a nexium, laid down for a small nap. got up then ate breakfast but was very achy. took a tyenol and now staying home from work. im achy almost everywhere now. dunno if it was from that or the weather. oh well. any ideas?

i should know the results in 2 weeks.
HI...were u given a contrast dye??....if so, u may want to contact ur dr...it may be a reaction to the dye.....other than that I am stumped.

I hope u feel better.

"selma"
maybe the nurse pressed to hard but it went well and i should know results in 2 weeks.

maybe im sensitive in those areas cuz when dr touched my sides and near my colon and right lower side i felt ticklish and a little bit in pain
I am sure nething is possible especially for how long this is dragging out for u.

Good luck with the results

"selma"
yeah been had this **** for over 3 yrs i think.. at first i just took nexium and it worked now it feels it got worse.

i just wish there was something that can finally put it to bed and i can live a normal life and not think about it.

hey guys sorry i havent updated you in a while. been feeling better but tonight i have a very bad migrane (migraine) and feel like im gonna have a bad acid reflux attack. I took excedrin migrane (migraine) for my headache and put some chinese tiger balm on my head which works when it does. nexk is hurting so i put it on there too but now my tummy is killing me and Im hoping I can rest tonight. going to see gastrologist Thursday morning for my sonogram results. i hope its not bad news but ill let u all know.

ok update time. went to the gastrologist yesterday and everything is good. i do NOT have hepatitis B or C which is very good. though i still have some irritation in my liver but its still a mystery as to why. my dr thinks it could be 3 things.
1. high cholesterol
2. alcohol
3. taking nerve pills back when I had depression.

i think t could be all 3 but I have never been a binge drinker. back in the day, i used to go to nightclubs with my friends and socially drank maybe 1 drink a week or sometimes id go out on fridays and saturdays and had 1 drink each day. it was a pattern for a while. i didnt go out every week so I highly doubt it came back to haunt me. the cholesterol might be the main problem since the dr said I have some fat around it. so im trying to cut down on fatty foods and have foods low in cholesterol. i dont know about the pills but it could be a problem too. im only on nexium now and zantac for my inflamed stomach which i should be getting off in 3 weeks or so. i got a blood test for Hepatitis A and for my cholesterol so we'll see what happens in 3 weeks..

pray for me
Hi....sorry to hear u still do not have ne conclusive results as of yet.

Please keep us posted

"selma"
thanks and ill always keep u updated ;)
hey sorry i havent updated anyone about this. thursday, i was in the hospital with a bad stomach infection. must've ate something bad or didnt clean my hands well enough. still not sure. they gave me IV, made me drink some phosphate and potassium (which tasted nasty by the way) and then gave me a prescription for metronidazole. it's working pretty well, though i still have some tummy pain which was a side effect. im hoping these meds help and after I'm done with it, it won't come back again. im eating lighter and blander stuff instead of junk food. ill have junk food every once in a while but ill prob go with eating tukey, ham and grilled chicken. light stuff. is this a wise decision?
Hi..it has been a while huh?....

Didn't they tell u exactly what u had and what it was from?

Glad to hear u r better and watching ur diet with healthier choices will be best for u all around!

"selma"
well the dr told me I had an infection from something I ate that might of been dirty or something. I might of had some stuff on my hands at work and didnt fully wash them. im getting better which is good. i got to call the hospital on thursday to make a follow-up appointment. the meds they gave me last until friday morning so hopefully after that I will be feeling 1000%better. I'm eating light stuff like soup, turkey, ham, bologna, knishs. i've tried to have pizza but I could only eat half a slice. im gonna try to eat more veggies and stop with the junk food for a while. its hard because it's hard to decide what to eat.. oh well we'll see what happens