vinegar for heartburn????
hi everyone,

i am an erosive gastritis/mild esophagitis and gerd sufferer. i have posted here a lot.
anyhow today ever since this morning i woke up i had reflux. it went away after i ate
something. anyhow in the afternoon after i drank a lot of water it flared up again.

i was so desperate to try something to relieve it and remember my granda
used to tell me to drink vinegar for an upset stomach, so i took in a tablespoon
and boom instant relief!!! i can't believe it!!! i thought vinegar was acidic so why wld it help ????
confused. anyhow i am taking protonix for about 6 weeks now and wonder
why would i have heartburn??

has anyone else tried vinegar for relief??
I used to experience the same thing before I had surgery, sometimes balsalmic vinegar would seem to help.  I knew that vinegar is slightly acidic, so I brought it up with my doc.  He thinks that because stomach acid is so strong, the slightly acidic acid dilutes it.  That being said, I'm curious why water didn't help.  Was it very cold water you drank?  I used to have trouble with that for whatever reason.

How you take Protonix or related blockers is very, very important.  Take it thirty to sixty minutes before you eat.  Taking a Protonix just before going to bed is just going to make expensive urine.  Also, Protonix isn't the strongest PPI.

Have you elevated the head of your bed about four to six inches?  That helped me a great deal.

Hi...there r some that will swear this will work and others that will not...on one episode of Dr Oz he said the following.....

Many experience heartburn symptoms from too little acid, and this  may help, but for those that have too much acid, adding more acid  it may appear to at first, but over all it will only add to the amount of acid u have....it is not a fix.

Find out which u have too much, or too little as it can feel the same.

"selma"
This is just my 2 cents worth of an opinion, but the vinegar probably worked because even though it tastes acidic, I think it might have a neutral PH level. I'm not sure, I'll have to look that one up.
Also, if you do find relief from vinegar, may I suggest you go to a health food store and buy raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar? This form of vinegar is the Rolls Royce of health foods. Read about it online. I drink a little in a glass of water every day, just for the benefits, not as a preventative necessarily.