GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
worse after nissan

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

worse after nissan

I had a nissan fundoplication on April 4 of this year. I am worse now than before. Nothing, absolutely nothing makes a difference in what I eat. I am on the toilet in less than 10 minutes with severe diarrhea. My stomach extends and there is terrible pain in my lower right side.

The surgeon is a jerk...I told my issues to him and all he said was"i fixed your GERD." I don't know what to do! What is going on? Did he damage my vagus nerve? I'm going to my GP and ask him to send my to a specialist in a good hospital so I can go on with my life...

Anyone else have/had these issues?

Tags: Nissan NIghtmare

Hi....I have heard both sides of the coin for this procedure...some have great results while others not so much.

I have to ask if u tried to test ur PH to see if mayb u have an infection or something like that from surgery...or it is an after effect of the meds....

Some times it is a matter of getting back into balance ...ask about trying probiotics with ur GP see what he/she suggests.

Keep us posted
I had a very positive result from a Nissen Fundoplication procedure.  Have you had a followup Endoscopy to determine the condition of the surgically impacted area?  Certainly, you need a second opinion.  Keep us informed.
I have been on Floramax probiotics for 2 months post nissan but to no avail...I'm going to my GP this week, cant take it anymore..Will ask to send me to a GI to look into these things...

thanks for your input!
No, I haven't had a post endoscopy, definitely need a second opinion...

thanks...
Hi there,

I had a Nissen Fundo done in Feb. 2012.  I have always had problems with slow bowel movements/constipation and was in hospital again after I was discharged, due to bladder not working and constipation.  I am young and have severe GERD damage (i.e. long segment of Barrets) and that is the only reason why I agreed to have the Nissen.

I never experienced heartburn before the operation, but at least now I should have a better chance of not getting fatal cancer.

I don't know what is the cause for your diarrhea, but some Specialists believe that you can develop IBS after the Nissen.
Avatar n tn
that sounds like dumping syndrome.  i know it is a complication that people can get after a fundo---but I thought it eventually went away.  It has been awhile since I was up on the possible complications of having a fundo.    I have a 9 year old daughter that was born with a hiatal hernia.  She had such severe reflux that she had to have a nissen fundo about a week before she turned 10 months old.   She has never had any complications from her fundo.  She cannot throw up, but she can burp.

I also have severe reflux and possible eosinophilic esophagitis---I have trouble swallowing---I've had my esophagus dilated 3 times and need it done again.    I carried a set of twins almost 22 years ago---I am sure that is when I developed a haiatal hernia---since that is when my chest pain started.   Our local surgeon told me years ago that it was just a matter of time before I would have to have surgery because I was so young and my symptoms were so bad.    I refuse to take PPIs, so I end up sleeping in the recliner alot---we raised our bed so i could sleep in it--but the stupid sheets want to slide off!!

I am at the point that I want to have surgery.  I did not remember the surgeon suggesting surgery years ago until I read my medical records---but I do remember him telling me that esophageal cancer was a bad way to go.
I had the TIF  Transoral incisionless fundiplcation.  And I too am in pain and have as much if not more heartburn/stomach pain than before.  The first few months I was fine, but not any more.  I don't recommend the surgery - I did at first.  Am going to see my Gastroenterologist after the holidays.  The surgeon only said, "Well. I can't do any more to help you."  

Sometimes fennel seems to help the pain or anise.  But for the most part, I hurt after I eat.  - So sorry you are suffering in the same way. :(
Forgot to mention that I am taking Dicyclomine for the esophageal spasms and it seems to help.  I want to try the Alkaline diet as they say that is what works for GERD.  - Have you tried the "cure" juice?  I bought a juicer - now I need to try the apple, raw potato and carrot juice to see if it really helps.
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
drifter0213 commented on advanced niTD
Theobaldm1989 commented on advanced niTD
Apr 28