Acalculous Gallbladder Disease
I am 28 year old female of average weight. I have been having abdominal pain for a week now. I went to my local ER on Monday night with nausea and vomiting accompanying my abdominal pain. I have had 4 gallbladder ultrasounds in the past 7 years all of which have been normal. All of my labs have been normal and my HIDA scan done in 2007 was normal. The ER physician mentioned acalculous gallbladder disease. My mother was my age when she had her gallbladder removed. My father's sister was 17. (The 4 Fs rule really doesn't apply here.) I see my GI physician in less than a week but the pain still continues. I am at my wits end. Help!!!!
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If your ultrasound, LFT and HIDA scan are normal your symptoms are unlikely to be due to gall bladder disease. Your persisting symptoms of pain, nausea and vomiting could indicate a viral gastroenteritis. The other causes could be jaundice if there is yellowish discoloration of skin, food poisoning if the symptoms occurred shortly after taking food, peptic ulcer disease and sometimes cholecystitis and pancreatitis. Please consult your primary care physician for further evaluation. In the meantime take oral fluids and OTC acetaminophen for the pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.