Alcohol Post Gallbladder Surgery
Hi there,

I had my gallbladder removed 2 months ago. I was also diagnosed and took the appropriate meds for H-Pylori. I have recovered well and I feel pretty good. I am careful with my diet, and I seem to be able to indulge here and there with not much trouble.

The problem I am having is drinking alcohol. I am not interested in getting drunk every weekend, but I would like to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, or a few drinks with friends on occasion. Every time I consume alcohol, even just one or two drinks, I spend hours of the night with extreme nausea and diarreah. I am hoping that with time this will pass or that you have some other advice? Is there anything I can do to minimize the reaction I am having? I realize the easy sollution is just not to drink anything, but I would like to have the option.

Thanks.
Hi there,
After gall bladder removal everyone’s body responds differently. The tolerance to consume alcohol after the gall bladder is removed may vary from one person to the next. Few people may develop problems like severe diarrhea, because after the gall bladder is removed, the bile from the liver will go directly into the liver. Severe and frequent diarrhea can lead to dehydration. It is also possible that in few people these effects may gradually decrease once the body starts adjusting. It is always best to speak to a health professional or doctor first and discuss your concerns. Do write to me again with more queries.
Best luck and regards!