Gallbladder Community
Bile Duct Obstruction?

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Bile Duct Obstruction?

Hello all.  After having an ERCP in 2008, I experienced the following:
Necrotizing Pancreatitis
Pancreatic Abcesses
Bile Duct Blockage/Obstruction
Over the next few months, I had 4 JP drains coming out of my abdominal area as well as a tube going through my liver and bile duct.

Everything was fine for a several years, but over the last few months, I have experienced abdominal bloating/swelling that is not cured by taking PPI's.

For the last few days, I have experienced really bad abdominal swelling, nausea, as well as upper right quadrant pain that radiates to my back.   My ALT liver test is about 5 point high.  

I can't get in to see my GI doctor for another week.

Could this be a sign of Bile duct obstruction?

Thanks.

Tim
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If you have right upper quadrant pain and white stool could indicate disorders in the liver or gall bladder. If you have jaundice then it could point towards an obstructive disorder like gall stones or bile duct obstruction. The other causes for pain could be GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease), where the acid contents of the stomach came up into the esophagus and peptic ulcer disease. Please consult your primary care physician for proper assessment and therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks for your reply.

I went to a GI doctor and he said that there is little chance that I have a bile duct obstruction.

But, he did do an EGD last week and I am supposed to get the results tomorrow.

Thanks again for responding.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If there is a bile duct obstruction, your liver function tests should reflect this. You could have your liver function tests done to know if the other enzymes are raised. In the meantime you could follow certain precautions. Avoid smoking and alcohol. Avoid drugs like paracetomol and sedatives. Get vaccinated for hepatitis A and B. Take a good protein diet.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.