Gallbladder Community
Biliary Dyskenesia or SOD

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Biliary Dyskenesia or SOD

I am confused. I started having dull pain in my right upper abdomen 3 month ago. It seems to get worse sometimes after eating meals with the pain radiating to my back. The pain also seems to worsen on an empty stomach. I have had a ct scan, ultrasound of the abdomen, upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, and HIDA scan.  The only thing they have found so far was my HIDA scan ejection fraction was slightly decreased at 31%. I have been to 3 GI Dr's. The first two  couldn't figure out what was wrong with me and the third one thinks I may need my gallbladder out but not sure if it will help or not.  Has anyone else had similar symptoms and did cholecystectomy resolve their problems. I am just hoping I do not have SOD and end up worse than I am now.
Don't do it, there is a chance it will give life long digestive problems, ejection of gallbladder is affected very much with your fat soluble vitamins levels in your blood, let him do complete vitamin check and correct for any deficiencies and you will be fine, the most possible one is vitamin d for people in the northern side of earth since the sun doesn't give effective dose of vitamin d for more than 6 months for people living above the southern boarders of NY state.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If you had the HIDA scan w/ CCK provides two pieces of information. The first is how well the gallbladder is functioning by assessing its response to CCK which is your body's signal for it to contract after you eat. The second is whether your symptoms are duplicated by inducing a gallbladder contraction. There is emerging data that suggests that the second is the most important to predict who would benefit from gallbladder removal. The good news is that if you experience your typical symptoms during the test you have probably found the problem.

Sphincter of Oddi Disease or Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction is a rare condition. It can cause an obstruction in the common bile duct and consequent symptoms of abdominal pain and jaundice.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.