Gallbladder Expert Forum
Biliary Dyskinesia (1.4%EF) Mixed Opinions from DR's
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Biliary Dyskinesia (1.4%EF) Mixed Opinions from DR's

I had a HIDA scan done about a month ago, after having severe symptoms the past 5 months. These symptoms include: Severe back pain, pain under right ribs that sometimes radiates outward, feeling of fullness when eating, burping often when eating, nausea, chills, fatigue. (These symptoms were accompanied by GERD, which my DR put me on Nexium for.)
The HIDA scan showed an Ejection Fraction rate of 1.4% which my doctor said was EXTREMELY low. She explained that it works at such a low level that it basically fills with bile, but cannot empty. She very casually said I should have it removed, and referred me to a surgeon that I had to wait 3 weeks to see. In the meantime, I consulted with my other doctor and he suggested that I have it out ASAP. I asked if there were any danger in waiting or leaving it in and he said it was possible that it could become so backed up it could become an emergency (leading me to the emergency room.) Both of the Dr's agreed that I should be on a low to no fat diet while I wait to have surgery. However, though this low to no fat diet is reducing symptoms (though there is a constant 'full' feeling under my right ribs- like something swollen is under there), I am losing weight rather quickly (12 pounds in just under 3 weeks.) I was a normal weight to begin with, and am a little nervous about losing any more weight.) Then, when I spoke to the surgeon, she acknowledged that yes it did function at a surprisingly low rate, but there was no emergency, and that the worst I'd have to deal with while waiting for surgery is the pain and discomfort I have been experiencing thus far. The earliest I can get in for surgery is two weeks from now. My question is, is there any sense of emergency, or any likelihood that something bad could happen while waiting? Each Dr seemed to have a different opinion on the urgency of my gallbladder disease. Is there any risk of becoming septic, or the gallbladder getting so full it leaks or explodes or...?
Any advice?
2827584_tn?1340583296
With all due respect, surgical advice from non-surgeons is rather suspect. In patients with gallbladder disease with gallstones present, the chances of potentially life threatening complications is about one in three without surgery. This is the real reason symptomatic patients should undergo cholecystectomy. In patients with non-stone disease (dyskinesia), there is no data to suggest that there is a high incidence of complications. In this population, it is the symptoms themselves that indicate surgery. The only thing lost by delaying surgery some is pain-free days.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank