Gallbladder Community
Biliary dyskinesia

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Biliary dyskinesia

My doctor thinks I may have biliary dyskinesia.  I have a HIDA scan next week - I know, I'm jumping the gun a bit.

I haven't been able to find much information on this online.  My main symptom is chronic nausea - I never though much of the mild sharp pain in my right upper abdomen until he asked about it.  Why would biliary dyskinesia cause so much stomach discomfort and nausea with relatively little pain in the gallbladder?

Also, I am wondering about treatment.  He says the only treatment is cholecystectomy.  This scares me - I feel like it would be better to leave my gallbladder where it belongs.  I don't see how removing it would prevent the nausea.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  How have you been treated and did it work?
PLEASE come back to let us know how your HIDA Scan goes.  I hope you find an answer.  So they think that is what may be happening v GB itself .. interesting.  I get rounds of similar symptoms and just don't know if I have a kidney stone on the move (small w/ no pain) or it's GB related .. the last go-around for me happened after BBQ potato chips late at night before bed ...  hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

C~
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

In HIDA scans the gall bladder gets filled in 5-10 mins and sometimes longer. The emptying usually happens within 2 hrs. That's what happens if the test is normal--if something is blocked then the progression stops flowing along--usually either the gall bladder never fills or it never empties in an abnormal scan. CCK HIDA or HIDA with ejection fraction (EF) is seen to check for gall bladder ejection. There is nausea and some amount of pain with this medication.

If gallbladder ejection fraction is below 35% is considered to be gallbladder dyskinesia.

If there is gall bladder dyskinesia, you should be having fatty food intolerance and sometimes pain in the right upper quadrant if there is evidence of gall stones or inflammation of the gall bladder. If due to non-functionality of the gall bladder, there is stasis of bile, it could predispose to gall stone formation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I have Biliary Dyskinesia. My Gallbladder was removed in 2006. Has not help my symptoms @ all. I still have right upper and lower abdominal pain. I can hardly eat anything that does not make me sick and my liver enzymes continue elevated.. I also have Hypothyroidism, Fibromyalgia. Arthritis. Memory loss. Mental changes..