Biliruin and Liver Enzymes after Complicated GallBladder Removal
Well, my wife went in for what was to be a simple gallbladder removal for 1 day. I just took her home after 18 days in the hospital. A stone stuck in her bile duct turned out to be unusually large. They tried a sphincterotomy during the ERCP and the next day she hemorrhaged from a complication during the ERCP and almost went into cardiac arrest.

The gallbladder was finally removed laproscopically. It was apparently packed with stones and in very bad shape. She had fluid in her abdomen afterwards found via MRCP but a hida-scan ruled out a bile leak.

She is home now but her bilirubin and liver enzymes are still high and go down for a day but then creep back up again. She's currently hovering around 7 and 8 for her bilirubin.Her liver enzymes remain elevated too. She is also trying to get her hemoglobin up too since the hemorrhage, that is down to around 8 as well.

Can anyone confirm or deny that it may take some time for her liver to recover and her bilirubin to go down or should it go down more quickly since she had the surgery. I'm just trying to get some real-world experiences so we can better judge whether we should be pushing for more tests or should just give her more time to heal.

Thanks.
Bilirubin usually drops pretty quickly if the obstruction is relieved. If there is a large amount of blood remaining in her abdomen though, the absorption of the hemaglobin can result in elevations of bilirubinn for a longer period of time.