Gallbladder Community
Bowel problems after gall bladder surgery

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

I've been having this same bathroom problem for the past seven years since my gall bladder was removed.  Unfortunately, the gastro guy treating me has done so more or less by trial and error.  First, he thought my "lactose intolerance" symptoms were caused by giardia, a parasite.  After three antibiotics, that was ruled out.  Then, he hit upon what was actually the problem.  A condition that can develop after gall bladder removal where the body can't absorb fat from the diet.  What happens, he explained, is that the fat actually crosses over into the large intestine where it combines with chemicals there to produce a strong laxative.  The solution was a cholesterol drug that binds with the fat in the digestive tract and keeps it from being absorbed so that it passes straight through the body.  I was put on Welchol, and it really helped.  It also has no side effects because Welchol is not absorbed in the body.  It just passes on through along with the fat.  

Unfortunately, since I was being treated solely by trial and error, I was taken off this treatment later on when I developed some colitis and rectal bleeding, apparently from some other cause.  Now I'm with a new doctor, and he has confirmed that the original problem was caused by this fat problem after gall bladder surgery, and the Welchol treatment was the best one.  I'm going back on it, because I'm tired of visiting every bathroom across town and having to meet people for lunch instead of riding in the same car.  Good luck to the rest of you, and make sure you're with a really good gastroenterologist!

This discussion is related to Bowel Problems After Gallbladder Surgery.
This is not so much a question, but a testimonial. Having read this forum after surgery, at least I'm not alone. The bad thing is that the vast majority of posters are of the fairer (or at least higher maintenance) sex. ;), therefore, I shall swallow my pride, because as we all know, everybody poops.
    After two to four years of 'lactose intolerance', which eventually morphed into lower, central abdominal sharp pain,above navel, pain just left of my right scapula, and upper right quadrant stomach pain, along with violent emesis, usually bile and pasta (you're all welcomed) accompanied by fiberous, dark, and sometimes unexpectedly violent diarrhea, the result of which was the loss of 20 lbs in 2 weeks. 3 weeks after surgery, down to 193 from 225. still losing wait and loyzer mogn, shilshl. (ask a rabbi). still fiberous, and dark if not just bile. down to 1 small meal daily, whith a bite (literally) in the morning and at lunch. hmmmm. 7 more pounds to fighting weight, then i'll have to buy a cork! at least the vomiting subsided. thinking about returning to the PPI. CURRENTLY LOSING 1 TO TWO LBS A DAY.