Gallbladder Expert Forum
Can nausea be symptom of gallbladder problem

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

I've had general nausea off and on for a year. It started about a year ago when I just felt unwell in my stomach for about a month every day. I never vomited, and it went away on its own. A few months later I started haven't this very mild poking feeling in my RQ on the same level as my belly button. It was very mild and infrequent. Then it started to get more frequent, along with some mild, ongoing right back/side pain. A few weeks ago I was feeling a similar nausea every day and the poking was almost constant on the right side. It wasn't painful, but just there and distracting. After about two weeks the poking went away, but the nausea is back.

I had two docs check my gallbladder by doing the poking tests, and I've had no pain with them. My question is, can the gallbladder cause nausea as its primary symptom? I've had so many other things tested in the same area and all have come back normal. But I would also think that if it's my gallbladder that it would be there more often and keep getting worse. Anyone had experience with these types of symptoms? My mom got her gallbladder out and it took a year to figure out that's what was causing her mild discomforts.

Also, I'm 23 and female, if that helps. Skinny and moderately active. My GI said he could do more tests if the poking comes back, but had no answers for this intermittent nausea (I'm not Celiac and have no known food allergies).

Thanks!
Although gallbladder disease can present with nausea alone it would be difficult to blame without some component of pain. Not sure what you mean by the poking test but it would certainly be worth an ultrasound and, if negative, a HIDA with CCK to check.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think my next step will be the ultrasound, also looking at the liver and pancreas.