Gallbladder Expert Forum
Changes after gallbladder surgery

Welcome to the Gallbladder Forum! This is a place to ask your personal questions about gallbladder issues and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of gallbladders.

Changes after gallbladder surgery

I had my gallbadder removed a couple years ago and since then I have not been able to eat several different foods. I was also diagnoised with a spastic colon when 19 and I have been struggling with my colon issues since my surgery. I was taking Lialdia for my colon and then my insurance changed and I can not afford to get it anymore. So now my colon is hurting and I am having what feels like severe gas pain in the upper right quadran of my stomach under my right breast. Could all of these issues be related to my gallbladder removal? Thanks for your help!
It is possible that it could relate. The two potential issues would be the possibility of sphincter of Oddi dysfunction causing ongoing discomfort or, more likely, agitation of spastic colon by the delivery of higher amounts of bile salts to it. A trial of cholestyramine will frequently improve these symptoms.
I have been using the cholesturamine and it has not helped. I went to see a GI doctor on Monday and was basically talked down to when I was trying to explain what I had been going through. I also had a CT scan done so they could check my pancrious but I have not gotten the results back yet. I am scheduled for a EGD and a colonoscopy on March 19th. On Thursday I went to another GI because I was unable to understand what the first GI was saying. So what they seem to think is that because I have had a spastic colon for years and then had my gallbladder removed that the bile is now going direct into the intestines causing my colon to go into over drive causing the bloating, pain, and bowl changes. For now they have increase the bental that I have been taking for years but apparently not near enough, increased my prylosec, and put me on Ibuphropethon to easy the stabbing pain in my back and upper right quadrian which they think is just a fluke that I had a rib out. I am still really concerned or should I say scared to death over what they might find, but I am so tired of hurting. My question is if it is the bile causing the problem and I have no gallbladder, how do they stop it from continuing to cause me the pain and problems?
There is an increase in delivery of bile salts to the colon is some people after cholecystectomy. These are irritating and can lead to worsening of pre-existing motility disorders. The two lines of treatment are to bind the bile salts with agents such as cholestyramine and to treat the spastic colon with smooth muscle relaxants. It sounds like that is the strategy they are employing. It all sounds appropriate.